Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Green tomatoes: not just for frying.

by Beth K. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:59 pm

We created a masterpiece tonight: spaghetti with green tomotoes, bacon, and goat cheese. Wow! It was super easy and super delicious. Give it a try!
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

Re: Green tomatoes: not just for frying.

by Reagan H » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Beth! Did you salt and weep the tomatoes? When in the cooking process did you add them? Thanks~
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 pm

I started off some garlic (4 big cloves) and onions (1 small) in a big skillet with a little love oil. After they had sauteed for a while, I added about 3-4 cups chopped green tomatoes and let them cook a bit longer. I added a little red pepper flake, a little dried oregano, sprinkled on a little powdered chicken bouillon and added a ladle of the pasta water. Then I covered it and let it go about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The I added the cooked pasta (about 1/3 pound) and bacon (1/2 pound) and a handful of fresh basil. Goat cheese went on top after it was on the plates. (I've found before if I add it while cooking that it kind of dissolves into a cream and I prefer to bite into big pieces of it.)

It was super yummy and made two generous servings. (It could have easily been 4 servings with a salad.) I hope you try it and enjoy it!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:37 am

Beth K. wrote:I started off some garlic (4 big cloves) and onions (1 small) in a big skillet with a little love oil. After they had sauteed for a while, I added about 3-4 cups chopped green tomatoes and let them cook a bit longer. I added a little red pepper flake, a little dried oregano, sprinkled on a little powdered chicken bouillon and added a ladle of the pasta water. Then I covered it and let it go about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The I added the cooked pasta (about 1/3 pound) and bacon (1/2 pound) and a handful of fresh basil. Goat cheese went on top after it was on the plates. (I've found before if I add it while cooking that it kind of dissolves into a cream and I prefer to bite into big pieces of it.)

It was super yummy and made two generous servings. (It could have easily been 4 servings with a salad.) I hope you try it and enjoy it!

Beth,

Is this a new brand, or something you purchased at the Adult Superstore?? :wink: :lol:
Sounds seriously yummy and I'll try it when I have green tomatoes. ( right now everything is ripe). I'm thinking pancetta would be really good in this in lieu of the bacon- what do you think?
Thanks!
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:43 pm

I added some to my calabacitas last night. Zucchini, yellow onion, garlic, green chilies, green tomatoes, olive oil (love oil), a little bit of butter. It was yummy!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Zucchini, yellow onion, garlic, green chilies, green tomatoes, olive oil (love oil), a little bit of butter.

Make that yellow squash, and onion.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Ha, ha, Deb! Oops, I let my secret ingredient slip! :lol:
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Robin, that sounds yummy too.

By the way, I think pancetta would be awesome!