Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

italian sausage and peppers stove top or oven?

by John Hagan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Just got back from Chicago,used to be home, brought back some good Italian sausage. We have got some great home grown peppers, why not make the Italian wedding favorite sausage and peppers. My only question is which is the better method for cooking, stove top or oven. My thinking is maybe better caramelization in the pan, but maybe a rounder more complex blending of flavor going with the oven, say in a big le crusset dutch oven.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: italian sausage and peppers stove top or oven?

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 pm

John Hagan wrote:Just got back from Chicago,used to be home, brought back some good Italian sausage. We have got some great home grown peppers, why not make the Italian wedding favorite sausage and peppers. My only question is which is the better method for cooking, stove top or oven. My thinking is maybe better caramelization in the pan, but maybe a rounder more complex blending of flavor going with the oven, say in a big le crusset dutch oven.

Interesting thoughts, John. Personally, this dish strikes me as classic grill fare, and I'd personally make it in a black iron skillet for control (and maybe to skim out and discard <i>some</i> of the delicious grease).

I can't imagine that doing it in a dutch oven or casserole wouldn't work, though. Maybe try it each way on separate occasions and draw your own conclusions? To answer your question, though, go with the black iron skillet to make it the traditional way.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:42 pm

Stove top in the dutch oven works great for us.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Oven

by Heather Y » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:43 pm

OVEN!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:59 pm

I've always made mine on the stove top and they are invariably yummy.
I may try it in the oven next time sounds like it would work too.
Wish I had a grill.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:44 am

Thanks for the input. I got almost a fifty fifity split on method when I googled it. Also of interest was the idea on adding some crushed tomatoes to it, also almost fifty fifty split.