Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Recipes needed for Flageolets

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Recipes needed for Flageolets

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Folks,

Anybody got great recipes using dried French Flageolets? I have several lbs of the real thing and looking for wonderful ways to prepare them.

Thanks!

Deb
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

beans

by Heather Y » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Cassoulet perhaps?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Deb, I bought some flageolets at the Gourmet for Everyone final sale. After much research, I believe that I will use them in the recipe “Tiny French Beans with Smoked Sausage” I found online at http://maisonceleste.wordpress.com/category/slow-cooking/

If I don’t use that recipe, I plan to use ”Braised Lamb Shanks with Flageolets” at http://teriskitchen.com/visitors/joshanks.html

If you wish to follow Heather suggestion of cassoulet, I found a recipe online for Cassoulet with Frisee and Chard that begins with 2 cups for flageolets http://www.terrafirmafarm.com/021803.html
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:06 pm

Deb, here's a recipe from Rancho Gordo, one of my favorite dry-bean purveyors, for a dish that looks like it will be just great when the weather cools off a little:

<b>Spring Lamb and Flageolet</b>
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

Gordo

by Heather Y » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:14 pm

Nice Site Robin, thanks for the tip!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:23 am

Heather and Gayle,

Thanks so much for the suggestions! They sound great.

Anybody have a recipe they've tried for Cassoulet? Robin? Did you pick up a recipe in Burgundy while you were enjoying those wonderful red wines ....(or am I getting my regional cooking messed-up?)

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:47 am

Deb Hall wrote:Anybody have a recipe they've tried for Cassoulet? Robin? Did you pick up a recipe in Burgundy while you were enjoying those wonderful red wines ....(or am I getting my regional cooking messed-up?)

Your regions are a little off, Deb, but hey. ;) Cassoulet really seems most at home in the Southwest - I had a lovely one at a touristy place in Carcassonne - but it's sort of like chili in the US - you can often get it at places outside its original territory.

I don't have a handy recipe for the real thing, I'm afraid. It's so fatty and takes so long, I kind of save it for a rare travel treat.

But here's a little help:

A column I wrote a while back with a brief description of an excellent cassoulet served at a LouisvilleHotBytes offline at Club Grotto:
<b>Winter is icumen in</b>

And a real cassoulet recipe that I linked from that column:
<b>Jim's Urban Guerrilla Cassoulet</b>
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

Cassoulet

by Heather Y » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:49 am

I guess I am a little premature in my suggestion though (perfect winter dish), and by the way....

"Cassoulet is a classic French dish from the Languedoc region of southwestern France which is traditionally cooked in an earthenware pot known as a cassole (hence the name). In essence cassoulet is a slowly cooked casserole of beans and meats, often topped with a gratin of crunchy crumbs. It is classic hearty peasant food which matches the earthy wines of the region perfectly."
Last edited by Heather Y on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 am

Note the time stamp on my last message: I don't feel too bad about getting by regional French cooking wrong at 5 am....Lucky my fingers even work at that hour. :lol:

Thanks for the recipes: now if the weather would just cooperate...!

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Robin,

I bought some pork sage sausage from Dreamcatcher at the market to make the cassolet recipe you sent (when if the weather ever cools) . So glad to find out they had it! (I don't know if I could have brought myself to use the Jimmie Dean sausage that the recipe recommedned ... :wink: )

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:34 am

Deb Hall wrote:I bought some pork sage sausage from Dreamcatcher at the market to make the cassolet recipe you sent (when if the weather ever cools) . So glad to find out they had it! (I don't know if I could have brought myself to use the Jimmie Dean sausage that the recipe recommedned ... :wink: )

Deb, Dreamcatcher's meats are excellent. I expect you know that it's run by Stan and Leila Gentle, also of Stan's Fish Sandwich and the late, lamented St. Matthews Seafood.