Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Fresh blueberries and peaches...just picked!

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm

What would you do with them?

So far, I've made this pie: http://www.food.com/recipe/peaches-cream-pie-24618 And it's wonderful! It might even be better next time if I add a bit of peach schnapps or brandy.

This pie: http://www.food.com/recipe/blueberry-pie-24521 Leaving out the lemon juice (unnecessary for these blueberries) and the cinnamon (just don't want cinnamon touching my berries) and it's pretty good!

I'm going to be making muffins but, I still have fresh peaches and blueberries, and may go get more (plus raspberries!) What do you do with your bounty of fresh fruit?

I'll be freezing some blueberrys and some peach slices. I'm thinking margaritas made with some Patron will be good! :D

Also, how long does frozen fruit stay good? How about frozen muffins? :P
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: Fresh blueberries and peaches...just picked!

by Bill P » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Frozen blueberries keep for at least a year. Before you freeze it is a good idea if you lay them out on a sheet pan to dry for an hour or so. This helps so they don't freeze in a big clump and you can easily remove just how many you intend to use. Also, do not wash the blues before freezing. I've frozen peaches for over a year and not no problems.

We have sliced fresh fruit as a main breakfast course almost everyday in season...yumm.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to checkout the recipes at http://www.bryantsblueberries.com.
We've tried a few of them and they were all winners IMO.

I'm not sure about the longevity of frozen muffins, but I'm inclined to freeze the berries until I'm ready to make the muffins fresh.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 pm

I posted this recipe several years ago. I'm not sure that you will care for it, Christina, since it has both lemon and cinnamon, but it always pulls raves when I make it.

Raw Blueberry Pie

6 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsps. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each: ground allspice, ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp. butter
juice of 1/2 lemon
9 inch deep dish pie crust
whipped cream or ice cream

Rinse blueberries; let drain. In medium saucepan, combine sugars, flour, salt and spices. Stir to mix well. Add 2 cups blueberries and put on medium heat Stir constantly until blueberries soften and become juicy. Simmer gently, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until thickened. (Be careful as this mixture sticks easily.) Remove from heat, stir in butter and lemon juice. Cool. Meanwhile, bake pie shell. (Frozen or from scratch, your choice.) When all the heat is out of the blueberry mixture, stir in the remaining 4 cups of fresh blueberries and pour into pie shell. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate. To serve top with whipped cream or ice cream.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm

You could also make blueberry pancakes and freeze them, they'll stay good for several months. Fresh blueberries will stay good in the fridge for several weeks, I just finished off a container from Costco that I know was in there for a good two weeks and they were as plump as when I first got them.

There is also blueberry chicken if you want to try something different. Had at a friends and was surprisingly good.

Peach upside down cake..thought Gourmet did one that was a peach and ginger upside down cake with a strudel topping but can't find it on their site. This is similar http://www.yumsugar.com/52-Weeks-Baking ... ake-503030

Made a peach bread once that was really good, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobb ... etail.aspx I was trying to recreate a bread that I tried somewhere and this was pretty close, but made an oatmeal crumb topping and some glaze for it.

Found this one too http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry- ... etail.aspx
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I've been seeing references on various forums and face book pages for at least the last week or ten days that fresh "locally grown" peaches are in season...Given that I just returned from a trip to TN/GA and having traveled as far south as Dalton Ga. and not having run across any locally grown peaches, I'm having a very difficult time believing that what we're seeing around here is "locally grown". Could someone please point me to the peach orchard within 75 miles of here that is currently producing peaches ? I've got to drive out there and see this with my own eyes.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 pm

A local market advertized 'South Carolina Peaches'...that count as local?
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Steve, my office participates in the Louisville Farm to Table program. You can find details here: http://wellnation.net/healthy-business/ ... businesses

Today was our weekly mini-market day, the first we've had in over two weeks due to limited crop availability b/c of weather reasons, and the farmer had lots of product (a few tomatoes, kale, swiss chard, green onions, locally raised lamb, beef and pork) including peaches. They were fairly small, but they were available. One of the pre-reqs of being part of this Sarah Fristchner run program is that the produce is grown locally, so I'd say that these peaches were indeed raised arfound these parts.

I cannot recall the name of the farm / farmer that sells at my office, but I will certainly find out, and verify next week that peaches are available and grown on their farm. If I am not mistaken, the farm is in Trimble Co.

Thanks. DD
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:Steve, my office participates in the Louisville Farm to Table program. You can find details here: http://wellnation.net/healthy-business/ ... businesses

Today was our weekly mini-market day, the first we've had in over two weeks due to limited crop availability b/c of weather reasons, and the farmer had lots of product (a few tomatoes, kale, swiss chard, green onions, locally raised lamb, beef and pork) including peaches. They were fairly small, but they were available. One of the pre-reqs of being part of this Sarah Fristchner run program is that the produce is grown locally, so I'd say that these peaches were indeed raised arfound these parts.

I cannot recall the name of the farm / farmer that sells at my office, but I will certainly find out, and verify next week that peaches are available and grown on their farm. If I am not mistaken, the farm is in Trimble Co.

Thanks. DD

Fair enough. Find out the name of the place and I'll make the drive out. While you're at it, I've seen reference in the past week to locally grown corn and (as of about 10 days ago) locally grown tomatoes being available. I'd be interested in where these are supposedly coming from as well...Again, I'll make the drive, just give me the location.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Derrick Dones » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 pm

There were only 3-5 tomatoes, so with that small of a yield, it wouldn't suprise me if these were the earliest of the season's tomatoes. No corn yet.

I will find out the farm's name and let you know what public farmer's markets they sell at.

Thanks. DD
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Steve, we picked our peaches at Hubers on Saturday, and our blueberries at Bryant's. :D

ETA: I also have some fresh Georgia peaches I used for the pie. The Georgia peaches were smaller and easier to peel. The local peaches were VERY juicy, and a bit more difficult to peel. They were both delicious!
Last edited by Christina Firriolo on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:I posted this recipe several years ago. I'm not sure that you will care for it, Christina, since it has both lemon and cinnamon, but it always pulls raves when I make it.

Raw Blueberry Pie

6 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsps. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each: ground allspice, ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp. butter
juice of 1/2 lemon
9 inch deep dish pie crust
whipped cream or ice cream

Rinse blueberries; let drain. In medium saucepan, combine sugars, flour, salt and spices. Stir to mix well. Add 2 cups blueberries and put on medium heat Stir constantly until blueberries soften and become juicy. Simmer gently, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until thickened. (Be careful as this mixture sticks easily.) Remove from heat, stir in butter and lemon juice. Cool. Meanwhile, bake pie shell. (Frozen or from scratch, your choice.) When all the heat is out of the blueberry mixture, stir in the remaining 4 cups of fresh blueberries and pour into pie shell. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate. To serve top with whipped cream or ice cream.

I've been making something very similar to this for years. I used the old recipe for fresh strawberry pie (that boils some berries down with sugar and water and leaves some not boiled) and used blueberries instead. That always makes a pie bursting with berry flavour!
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:51 am

Christina Hall wrote:I'll be freezing some blueberrys and some peach slices. I'm thinking margaritas made with some Patron will be good! :D

Also, how long does frozen fruit stay good? How about frozen muffins? :P

I just used the last of the blueberries and peaches that I picked last year to make sorbet for a 4th of July get together. The flavor was still quite good. The blueberry sorbet tasted like the inside of a blueberry pie.

-Pete
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Derrick Dones » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Steve P wrote:Fair enough. Find out the name of the place and I'll make the drive out. While you're at it, I've seen reference in the past week to locally grown corn and (as of about 10 days ago) locally grown tomatoes being available. I'd be interested in where these are supposedly coming from as well...Again, I'll make the drive, just give me the location.

Steve, confirmed that this farmer, along with Hubers has local grown peaches currently available.

The farm that participates in my office / Lou farm to table program is Double H Farms of Milton, KY. The also sell at these farmers markets:

Dixie Farmers Market
Erlanger Baptist Church
Erlanger, KY

Lagrange Farmers Market
Lagrange Courthouse Sq.
Lagrange, KY

Norton Commons Farmers Market
Norton Commons Town Square
Norton Commons Blvrd.
Prospect, KY

Here's their website for further info: http://www.diamondhfarms-ky.com/index.html

Sounds like you might not have to travel top far from Garage Logic to check this out. I had some bone-in pork chops from these guys last night that I grilled, and they were quite good. Two chops for $5.50. I haven;t tried any of their other meats, but based on the tasted of these chops, I will be trying more soon.

Let me know what you think. Thanks. DD
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 pm

We purchased peaches from Bray's Orchards in Bedford last Friday.

We purchased corn from a Shelbyville farm at the LaGrange Farmer's Market on Saturday. We were told that is was local and field grown.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:
Steve P wrote:Here's their website for further info: http://www.diamondhfarms-ky.com/index.html

Sounds like you might not have to travel top far from Garage Logic to check this out. I had some bone-in pork chops from these guys last night that I grilled, and they were quite good. Two chops for $5.50. I haven;t tried any of their other meats, but based on the tasted of these chops, I will be trying more soon.

Let me know what you think. Thanks. DD

Thanks Derrick. Gonna try and fit a road trip out there into the schedule this week...