Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Cuisinart Standmixer...or other brands?

by Madeline M » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:07 am

My KitchenAid did not survive the move and we took it into a shop for repair. They said it would be a minimum of $300 because the casing is cracked. Not sure I buy it...we took it apart and looks like it's just a gear towards the back that busted in half. Just in case we can't fix it ourselves, anyone have a Cuisinart standmixer? How do you like it?

I'm not sold on sticking with KA anymore since their customer service has taken a serious plummet and the few Cuisinart items I have seem to be pretty decent. I'm open to other brands as well, but want to have something of similar size that can handle double batches of whole wheat doughs like the KA could.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Cuisinart Standmixer...or other brands?

by Steve P » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Wow...musta been some move. Those things are generally bulletproof. Becky has a KA stand mixer and LOVES it, I don't think you could pay her to try something else.

Cruisinart....mehhhhhhh, generally not impressed with their small appliance type products. We've had a couple of kitchen appliance type things made by them over the years and have generally been disappointed in the cost vs quality = value department. I guess perceive them as one of those companies that is riding on a name. Just MHO.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:15 pm

I have a Cuisinart and I love it. I received it as a wedding gift three years ago and it is still in great shape, never any problems. The one I have detaches so that you can use it as a hand mixer when you want to have more control. Or, if you want to just toss everything in and let in go on the stand, you can do that too. I've used both ways (which is why I wanted it) and have been happy. The stand itself is not very impressive, but the mixer (the actual mechanical componant) is solid, heavy, and like I said, has bever given me any problems.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 pm

As an aside, I also have a Cuisinart burr mill and a Cuisinart blender/food processor combo. Both are awesome appliances. The coffee mill is also 3 years old and is just awesome. The blender is 6 years old and crushes ice like a professional grade restaurant model. Needless to say, I've had the opposite experience with my Cuisinart products than Steve has.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Lemme bore you with my Cuisinart story:

We bought a Cuisinart food processor around 1980, maybe earlier, and NJ used it tons until around 2000 or so when the processor, under a heavy load of bread dough, started emitting burnt electrical aromas and just stopped. We let it cool for a bit, but it was dead. For some reason we did not throw it out immediately and a few days later NJ found the original lifetime warranty (did I mention she never throws anything out). So, I call the Cuisiart phone number intent upon demanding a replacement and actually got a customer service person on the second ring.

I explained what happened and the representative said in a haughty voice "Sir, that is just not possible". I was ready to kick his ass right then and there and show him what was possible, but he asked politely if I would plug the unit back in and see if it worked. Well, I be damned the processor fired right up and continues to work today. Apparently, that unit had a switch/relay that shut the machine off if it became overloaded to prevent total meltdown and it took some time for the relay/switch to reset.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Wow. That's pretty durn good!!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:28 pm

We aren't sure how the KA got busted...mine is one of the solid metal models so it must have been one heck of a hit! It was in a box that was inside a storage bench packed with dog beds and towels. You'd think that kind of impact would have busted the bench first! (I'd have gladly sacrificed the bench!) I'm still not ready to give up on my KA. I'm going to tear it apart again this weekend and may even see about finding a machinist to weld it back together if there is a casing issue. The gear that's broke is a $13 part.

I only have a few small Cuisinart items and they seem to be fine...after reading more reviews I'm not any closer to deciding on what I'll get. We were planning on using the KA to make our own sausages...just for the stuffing part and Cuisinart doesn't make an equivalent add on.

Glad to know some others have had good experiences with the brand. I've been a long time KA loyalist so going to the other side is a bit scary.
User

Mark Bellou

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 20, 2011 12:13 am

by Mark Bellou » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 am

If youre serious you could go for a hobart n50. It'll run ya around 800 bucks though on eBay or craigslist.
Pizza-fueled Line Cook, Coals Artisan Pizza
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:32 pm

If I were in the market for a new stand mixer, I would seriously look at the Viking. While I have not used one, I've seen one in use at several recent cooking/baking classes at Cooking at the Cottage and it really seems powerful--much more so than my KA. Worth a look!!!