Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Chocolate Ice Cream

no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Chocolate Ice Cream

by Catherine Davidson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:50 pm

I made Food 52's recipe for Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream the other day and it went pretty well. To make strawberry or chocolate can I use this base and add sugared berries or cooled melted chocolate?

Foolproof Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Tammy/Food 52
Makes about 1.5 qts.

4 egg yolks
1.5 cups heavy cream
1.5 cups whole milk
3/4 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean
Heat milk and cream in a small saucepan with some sugar to 175 degrees. (Use a candy thermometer!)
Meanwhile, beat the yolks with the remaining sugar at least 2 min. with an electric mixer or 4 min. with a whisk until pale yellow.
Slowly pour a small amount of the heated milk-cream-sugar mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly as you pour.
Whisk the thinned egg yolks back into the saucepan containing the remaining milk-cream-sugar.
Scrape the insides of the vanilla bean into the saucepan.
Heat to 180 degrees.
Pour the cooked custard through a fine mesh strainer into a container.
Chill custard to 40 degrees or lower. (I usually make the custard right before I go to sleep so it can chill in my refrigerator overnight. Tammy)
Churn for 30 mins. If you have any add-ins, add to the ice cream for the last 30 seconds.
Put in the freezer in an air-tight container for 2-4 hours to harden completely.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: Chocolate Ice Cream

by Bill P » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Wow that sounds great. I've never had enough ambition to make my own ice cream .
I'm sure someone will chime in that the Goofy Udder makes a better ice cream.
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

It's not hard, or even time consuming. I'm just not sure how to vary the flavors working with one base :)
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:11 am

Just so you know, using the NYC Times recipe as a base, sans the mint and c. chips, I successfully made a dark chocolate and a strawberry version. For the chocolate, I melted the chocolate into the first part of the base then followed the rest of the recipe. For the strawberry I added the berries after I churned the ice cream. It became more like strawberries and cream vs. strawberry ice cream. Maybe you can macerate a fruit and churn it for more over all completely flavored ice cream? Either way, I chilled the completed base in the churning container over night. Layering the ice w/rock salt resulted in 30-40 minutes of churning max, in the sink. My machine is definitely best single batch. I doubled the third batch and almost created a Lucille Ball moment. I didn't realize the power of the expansion properties of ice cream :) All in all, easy to do. Each "tub" after a night in the freezer, hardened well. Big flavor = quality of ingredients ie. JD's Country. Doubt I have made ice cream except as a child. Guess I was concentrating on the lesser calories of gelato and sorbet. But ice cream is easier to make I think. P.S. for the mint c. chip, just because I had it left over from mint mojitos from Derby, I added a refrigerated mint simple syrup with the mint and chips. Probably 2 Tbl.s . It gave depth to the flavor.