Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Skinny Girl Margaritas

no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Skinny Girl Margaritas

by Megan Watts » Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 pm

I bought into the hype an purchased a bottle. It was "invented" by Bethenny Frankle who was on The Real Housewives of NYC. It's rumored that she just sold the brand to Jim Beamfor 120 Million. Has anyone else tried it? It's not the best margarita I've ever had, but for 37 calories a serving, it's pretty good!
no avatar
User

JenS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Skinny Girl Margaritas

by JenS » Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Where did you buy it? I love a good Margarita (even a bad margarita, in a pinch) and I would like to try the skinny girl version. I always mean to look for it when I'm in a liquor store, but I get distracted by the wine section.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Westport Whiskey and Wine has it.

I give it a 6/10. It is just too easy to squeeze fresh limes, add some simple syrup or agave nectar, and good tequila to buy that overpriced stuff. I'm having a "real" margarita right now.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Tue May 24, 2011 10:45 am

I got it at the Kroger in Middletown. I will say that it seems very overpriced for the amount you get. Basically it was about $14 for about 4 med. sized glasses. It doesn't have the overly syrupy taste that a lot of the mixes have. But I think I'll stick with Jose.
no avatar
User

JenS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm

by JenS » Tue May 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Tried the Skinny Girl Margarita yesterday. Kind of disappointing. I don't know the calorie count in a regular (non-skinny girl) margarita, but I suspect it varies with the amount of sweetener added and whether or not you use a mix.

The serving size listed on the bottle is 1.5 ounces. I don't know about anyone else, but I like my margaritas a little larger than that! If you pour yourself an eight oz skinny girl margarita you're going to be around the low end of 300 calories.

The skinny girl margarita left a bitter taste in my mouth and I'm pretty sure that I can make a better version from scratch.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Let me go on record as saying I almost gagged reading about this.

100 how many millions?!?! For a reality TV personality?!?!?

Just pass me the gun, geeze...
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Stephen D wrote:Let me go on record as saying I almost gagged reading about this.

100 how many millions?!?! For a reality TV personality?!?!?

Just pass me the gun, geeze...

this!

im just a broken needle here, but when did squeezing some citrus, making a syrup, freezing water, and adding tequila get difficult?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Calories, shmalories, I said drink a magarita salted rim and all!
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 am

The whole "low calorie" drink concept never made much sense to me... a shot of vodka (80 proof) has 65 calories in it... that means MGD 64 or any other low calorie drink has less than a shot in it.

I'd rather drink a glass of unsweetened ice tea and save my calories for a real drink down the road...

Margaritas are quick and easy to make at home if you are willing to keep limes, ice, agave syrup and tequila in the house... 2 of those take years to expire, one prevents scurvy and ice is ice.

Oh well... I guess I won't ever make a hundred million dollars with a low calorie pre-mixed drink (that I believe is made in Canada)