Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Roland Red Pepper Spread

User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Roland Red Pepper Spread

by Christina Firriolo » Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 am

Since Wegman's stopped carrying this, my mil is asking me to find some and send it to her. Does anyone know if it's sold any place in Louisville?

Thanks in advance!

~Christina
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Roland Red Pepper Spread

by Robin Garr » Sat May 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Christina Hall wrote:Since Wegman's stopped carrying this, my mil is asking me to find some and send it to her. Does anyone know if it's sold any place in Louisville?

I wonder if it's similar to ajvar, Bosnian red-pepper spread, which comes in hot and mild. Lotsa Pasta has that.

Here's a mail-order source for Roland,
http://www.avenuegourmet.com/gshop/xcar ... 788&page=1
but looking at the ingredients, it really looks a LOT like ajvar. You might try sending her a bottle of that from Lotsa and see if she likes it. :)
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Ok. I'll try that. I tried Fresh Market's online thing, but it doesn't let you search for products very well. I'll call them instead.

Just out of curiousity, (dumb question alert!) what do you do with a red pepper spread? Spread it on bread or crackers I guess? Or is it more like a salsa type thing that you would use it as dip for veggies and such?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Christina Hall wrote:Just out of curiousity, (dumb question alert!) what do you do with a red pepper spread? Spread it on bread or crackers I guess? Or is it more like a salsa type thing that you would use it as dip for veggies and such?

Either of the above. It also makes a really good sauce. Mix some ajvar/red pepper sauce into a bechamel or, for something really indulgent. blend it with a dollop of cream. :lol: Use it to plate pork tenderloin or chicken breast medallions, or even as a pasta sauce.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Sat May 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Ah. Ok, thanks to you both!

I went to both Whole Foods (no go) and Fresh Market. Fresh Market had some red pepper jelly, but my mil is quite picky, so I guess I'll just have to find it online and order it.

Thanks everyone!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Christina Hall wrote:guess I'll just have to find it online and order it.

http://www.avenuegourmet.com/gshop/xcar ... 788&page=1
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun May 15, 2011 2:22 am

You might call the International Market on Taylorsville Rd- they carry a wide array of eastern European foods.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 15, 2011 9:38 am

GaryF wrote:You might call the International Market on Taylorsville Rd- they carry a wide array of eastern European foods.

I think she wants the Roland brand, though, Gary, which is Amurrican. For Bosnian ajvar she can go to Lotsa Pasta. :)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun May 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Christina Hall wrote:Ah. Ok, thanks to you both!

I went to both Whole Foods (no go) and Fresh Market. Fresh Market had some red pepper jelly, but my mil is quite picky, so I guess I'll just have to find it online and order it.

Thanks everyone!

Christina,
Red pepper jelly is a totally different product. It's a savory jam with some crushed red pepper spice- typically served over cream cheese on crackers.

Red pepper spread is like a pesto consistency, roasted and pureed red bell peppers typically. The Bosnian spread Robin mentions is the right idea but in my experience it has different spices than the Roland. If you can't find the Roland, you might also try the Rustichella D'Abruzzo brand sauce- it's similar ( I think better) . They may have it at Whole Foods. Or Williams -Sonoma.
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 am

Oh wow. I consider myself a "foodie" but have much simpler taste than most foodies I know. I do appreciate high quality, and food preparation as an art even if I don't enjoy such things as ham ice cream. *lol* (I do like both ham and ice cream though...just not at the same time!) (there, I said it.) :oops: :P

You all have taught me a lot in this thread though, and I sincerely appreciate it! This has been a very enlightening topic for me, as I would not have guessed (but should have known!) that there is a huge difference between red pepper spread and red pepper jelly.

Here's another dumb question (while I'm on a roll) I noticed some chutneys at Whole Foods the other day...are they similar to a spread? Or closer to a jelly?

*runs before someone clobbers her with a rolling pin* :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 am

Christina Hall wrote:Here's another dumb question (while I'm on a roll) I noticed some chutneys at Whole Foods the other day...are they similar to a spread? Or closer to a jelly?

*runs before someone clobbers her with a rolling pin* :lol:

Christina, no worries! We learn by asking questions, and there's no shame in that! :)

Chutneys vary - there are dozens of them - but most often they're either a thick liquid or puree or chunks of food (onions, for example, or fruit) in a spicy sauce. Think of chutney as more of a condiment, the Indian equivalent of mustard and ketchup. :lol:
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 am

Since you'll have to ship it regardless, why not just order it online and have it shipped directly to her.
Now a Wegmans in this area is a concept that I could get behind.
'Winger
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 am

Yeah, the thing is, I did order from someplace online before I started this, (somewhere in CA, natch) and it's on backorder.
Whatever. *lol* :roll:
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I looked at Lotsa when I was there yesterday and they did not have the Roland brand ( nor the Rustichella even though they carry the their pastas).

Deb