Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Shiraz Rice

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Shiraz Rice

by Kris Billiter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:09 pm

I made some basmati rice at home the other day, and it was quite tasty and different from the plain stuff I usually eat. I know at Shiraz they top it with a yellowish liquid. I was definitely missing that flavor at home. ANy ideas what that is?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Shiraz Rice

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:I made some basmati rice at home the other day, and it was quite tasty and different from the plain stuff I usually eat. I know at Shiraz they top it with a yellowish liquid. I was definitely missing that flavor at home. ANy ideas what that is?

Almost certainly saffron ... not really a liquid, but the liquid look you see is probably the result of water vapor liquefying the saffron threads (actually crocus stigmas).

You can buy saffron in little plastic boxes at Lotsa Pasta. It's horribly expensive if you consider it by the pound, but a little bit goes a very long way. The little boxes are under $10, as I recall, and last for months.

Indian turmeric is a possible substitute, but mostly for the color. The flavors are different.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Saffron at Gourmet For Everyone

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Kris,

If you can make it out this way, We've got some ( not many) saffron at the store and it'll be on sale on Friday. We also have packages of spice mixes that are the recipes from Shiraz that Ramin packed up for us to sell. I think they are Koobideh and Shish Kebab. There's one other but I can't remember the name right now....

Deb
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 am

Deb,
What time do you all open on Friday. I'll be in town around 8, but will head back to Shelbyville shortly thereafter. Thanks for the heads up! Could you please remind me where you all are located again? Thanks!

Kris
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Kris,

You're welcome. Thought it ironic that you brought it up the week of the sale.... :)

Sale is from 3 pm to 7 pm only on Friday.

We are at 111 S. English Station Road, which is past the Gene Snyder off Shelbyville Road going toward Shelbyville. It's right across from the main entrance to Lake Forest: behinfd the CVS on Shelbyville, in the Landis Lakes Shopping Center.

If you come in, please introduce yourself,

Deb
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 am

Deb,
I should be back in town Friday afternoon, so i will try to stop by. Thanks for all of your help. Look forward to seeing you on Friday!
Kris
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kris Billiter wrote:I made some basmati rice at home the other day, and it was quite tasty and different from the plain stuff I usually eat. I know at Shiraz they top it with a yellowish liquid. I was definitely missing that flavor at home. ANy ideas what that is?

Almost certainly saffron ... not really a liquid, but the liquid look you see is probably the result of water vapor liquefying the saffron threads (actually crocus stigmas).

You can buy saffron in little plastic boxes at Lotsa Pasta. It's horribly expensive if you consider it by the pound, but a little bit goes a very long way. The little boxes are under $10, as I recall, and last for months.

Indian turmeric is a possible substitute, but mostly for the color. The flavors are different.

I was lucky enough to find myself in Istanbul recently and bought two tins of Iranian saffron at the spice market ... geez, using that word "Iranian" ought be enough to have the CIA snooping around this board!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:12 pm

TP Lowe wrote:... geez, using that word "Iranian" ought be enough to have the CIA snooping around this board!

I suppose we could {Echelon] salt in a few {Al Qaeda} high-interest words in an otherwise {extraordinary rendition} innocuous paragraph {Bushies Out in '08} and see if it catches the attention of the boys at the {NSA}.

:twisted:
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 am

Livin on the edge Robin, livin on the edge.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 am

Not that I disagree, however.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Robin,

You daredevil you!!! BBIW
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:... geez, using that word "Iranian" ought be enough to have the CIA snooping around this board!

I suppose we could {Echelon] salt in a few {Al Qaeda} high-interest words in an otherwise {extraordinary rendition} innocuous paragraph {Bushies Out in '08} and see if it catches the attention of the boys at the {NSA}.

:twisted:

Took me a couple of days to see that, but what a hoot!