Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Wanted: Kroger Pasta Salad Recipe

by Beth K. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:28 am

OK, so Kroger has this pasta salad in their deli that I love. I believe I have found it at both the Highland's location and the St. Matthews location. I think it's called 'cajun chicken pasta salad' or something as equally inventive. :wink: I'm usually really good at deconstructing things and being able to reinvent them at home, but this one has me stumped. Has anyone else had it? Do you know what's in it? I can pick out the pastsa, chicken, peppers, onions and mayo obviously, but can't place the seasoning. :?:
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:46 pm

It's probably a cajun seasoning, like Tony Chachere's, or the like.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:51 pm

I've never heard of that. Is it easy to find? Local grocery?
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Tony's is everywhere including Kroger. They have a line of Cajun products and their seasoning is very good.

Kris
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Tony Cachere's is my favorite of the cajun seasoning blends. When I first moved here from Louisiana in 95 I couldn't find it anywhere in town, so I purchased big gallon size containers of it down there and brought it up with me. The "more spice" version is my favorite. It is good on just about anything, but especially on things like scrambled eggs, spaghetti, soups, pot roast, pastas, etc.. If it isn't what they use at Kroger, I imagine it would be a close substitute.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm

If you like Tony's seasoning, you might want to try the cajun seasoning a the Dine Store on Preston St. A huge container is less than $5. It works great as a rub for smoking (great for pork) or an addition to most Southern/Cajun dishes. I've made a decent tasso using just this spice. It's worth keeping a small shaker in the kitchen to spice up soups and casseroles.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Here is the recipe

by Pam G » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:51 pm

Kroger Deli Shoppe's Cajun chicken pasta salad

Cajun seasoning, to taste (recipe follows)
4 8-ounce chicken breasts, boned, skinned and fat removed
1 pound penne pasta
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 large red onion
1 quart Cajun dressing (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Shake mason jar of Cajun seasoning well.

Lay chicken breasts out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle Cajun seasoning over the chicken breasts (just enough to lightly coat). Flip the breasts over and do the same on the other side.

Bake the chicken breasts in the hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes (they should be fork-tender and juices should run clear with no sign of pink). Remove chicken and cool in the refrigerator.

Cook pasta. When done, shock in ice water to stop the cooking. Drain thoroughly.

Core, seed and julienne peppers. Remove ends from onion, peel, cut in half, then julienne. Combine with the cooked pasta.

Cut cooled chicken breasts in half and then slice 1/2-inch thick in the other direction, across the grain. Add to pasta salad.

Prepare Cajun dressing and pour over the pasta salad. Mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Cajun seasoning

2 tablespoons chili pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 1/4 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake well.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Cajun dressing

2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
1/4 cup parsley, minced
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (previous recipe)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch salt

Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a medium-size bowl. Whisk until well-blended.

Makes about 1 quart.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 pm

You are a Goddess!!! How did you find it? The ingredients are so simple, but I just love that dressing. I wonder if a low-fat version would completely alter the taste. Probably.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 pm

I'd bet you could change it to low fat Hellmans and reduced fat sour cream without a noticable change in flavor. I do that all the time with recipes at home. If you really want to save calories you can use fat-free both, but then you will taste a difference but with the cajun spices and Dijon to offset, it may still be very good.

Deb