Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Wine suggestions needed!

User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

Wine suggestions needed!

by Eve Lee » Fri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

We're in the midst of a kitchen remodel, and one of the features in our new kitchen is a built-in wine rack that holds ten bottles. Usually we just have a bottle or two on hand, and we thought it would be neat to start a nice, well-rounded collection—not to save or show off, but to drink and enjoy.

So, what would you suggest? We don't care for oak or white zins (although I have a soft spot in my heart for eiswein and all kinds of rieslings), and for stocking purposes would like to see most in the $15-20 range—or even less, if you know of a great steal.

Thanks!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Wine suggestions needed!

by JustinHammond » Fri May 06, 2011 2:14 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Boones Farm...and Riunite Lambrusco.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Fri May 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Steve P wrote:Boones Farm...and Riunite Lambrusco.

I should have added, 'Serious answers, please.' :lol:
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm

I'd suggest you go to a trusted local wine shop and discuss your preferences and needs with them. I'm sure they will give you loads of options that they presently have is stock. Old Town and Wine Rack immediately come to mind but I'm sure there are a number of other good local wine retailers.

One suggestion. If you ever decide to splurge on a bottle that you intend to save for consumption a few years down the road, do yourself a favor and do not store it in the kitchen. Kitchens tend to be the warmest room in the house and longer term exposure to heat can damage the wine.
Redwinger
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 07, 2011 11:27 am

Bill P wrote:One suggestion. If you ever decide to splurge on a bottle that you intend to save for consumption a few years down the road, do yourself a favor and do not store it in the kitchen. Kitchens tend to be the warmest room in the house and longer term exposure to heat can damage the wine.

Good advice. Use the kitchen wine rack to stage wines you expect to enjoy in coming weeks, not for aging bottles that you hope to mature.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Steve P wrote:Boones Farm...and Riunite Lambrusco.

Ahh Boones Farm...Pickled Tink...I mean Tickled Pink...my first taste of alcohol...and my first...nevermind :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Eve Lee wrote:So, what would you suggest? We don't care for oak or white zins (although I have a soft spot in my heart for eiswein and all kinds of rieslings), and for stocking purposes would like to see most in the $15-20 range—or even less, if you know of a great steal.

Speaking in broad categories of affordable wines that I like and that go great with food, I'd suggest an assortment of Cotes-du-Rhones, Chiantis and Pinot Noirs for your reds (be careful with selection for the latter, as a lot of the cheap ones are crap), and some Southern Rhone whites, an Austrian Grüner Veltliner, a Muscadet and maybe a well-chosen Chardonnay for the whites.

I guess my preference for European wines is showing up here ... point being, though, these are all wines that go well with food, not just on their own; and you should be able to get some good-quality wines in these categories within your price range.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is nice. Fruity and clean.

I used to prefer Honig's but last year it wasn't very good. I haven't tried it yet this year.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun May 08, 2011 9:52 am

I love European wines as well but do drink quite a bit of California/Washington State red wine - I like Zinfandel, Pinot, and off beat blends. Given that you are not paying for the lousy value of the dollar I think you can drink better wine for the money.

As for white wine I do drink more European - as food wines we drink quite a bit of dry Riesling, Gruner Veltliner, Pinot Grigio, and Chardonnay. So many of the American whites are fruit/oak heavy.

I'll second the New Zealand recommendation that's a wine we enjoy quite a bit as well. Also there are some great wines from South America and Australia - it's a big world out there with lot's of good choices.

Just start experimenting and develop a good relationship with your wine merchant.
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Thank you, all! The idea of hitting up Gordy & Co. is a good one. I also love the personal suggestions, because it's something that you can't always get from a magazine or shelf tag.

Cheers!