Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

A Couple of Odd Questions...

User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

A Couple of Odd Questions...

by BevP » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:35 pm

First question...Does anybody here on the forums admit to shopping at the salvage groceries, well other than me that is?
Second question...Do you have any suggestions for using White Truffle Oil?

I went to the salvage grocery and found a can,8oz of white truffle oil, for all of $1.29. Yes I admit the best by date was Feb 28 2011 but I figured why not.
I love to find odd stuff at the place, I do not buy dented cans or extremely out of date stuff but I think of it as an adventure, plus they will gladly take back anything that you purchase that is unacceptable once you get it home.
Thanks for suggestions
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A Couple of Odd Questions...

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Bev, I don't have anything in principle against shopping at salvage groceries - I think the secret of really great cooking is not always to buy the foo-foo ingredients but to make something really great out of whatever is available, and extra points if it's a value buy.

I'm embarrassed to admit, though, that I wouldn't know where to start (other than Google) to find one. :oops: Where are your favorites?

As for truffle oil, I don't think being out of date will be in any way risky, but truffle oil is somewhat fragile, and it may have lost its good scent. But that said, I'd think about using a little of it to add flavor to a mushroom risotto or a mushroom omelet. I think it might take me a while to go through a 12-ounce can, though. I'd suggest transferring it to a small glass bottle with a tight seal and then keep it in a cool dark place.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

What is a salvage grocery? (thought I'd add my own odd question in here...) :)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Christina Hall wrote:What is a salvage grocery? (thought I'd add my own odd question in here...) :)

I will try and answer your question and Robins all in one reply...
A salvage grocery buys products from other stores,Kroger , Whole Foods ,etc for pennies on the dollar and sells them at savings to us the retail consumer. These are items that may have been damaged on the shelf or have a short date or even an expired date.

Robin there is a mini chain here in town...B&E Salvage they have 3 stores, one on Preston across from Southern High School one on Shepardsville Rd near Miles Ln and one on Greenwood Rd near Dixie. There is also another store in Southern Indiana called M C Sales that sells similar stuff.Itis on Charlestown Rd.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Interesting. You learn something new every day!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 pm

I have been shopping at B &E for at least 20 years. At first I was embarrassed, I would keep my head down avoid eye contact ,afraid I would be recognised by someone I knew til one day I was checking out and the girl checking me out shouted my name ,well my maiden name at the top of her voice...turns out we went to high school together. Her Mom owns the stores and she and her sister manage them now.
I forgot to add in the previous post you still have to watch prices because there are still items I find cheaper at the regular stores with sales and coupons.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 pm

BevP wrote:First question...Does anybody here on the forums admit to shopping at the salvage groceries, well other than me that is?

yup i go to the salvage store here in Indiana. I have heard of the ones in Louisville, and i think i went by the one on Preston while i was in the area, but it was closed :( :( :(

My pastor's wife told me about the store here, i had never heard of it. Took me a bit to find it, but once i did, heck..... they know my children by name! and they have known me through two pregnancies....lol I like going there because you can actually find some really good products that are in good condition. I find sooo many cooking things there, olive oils, spices, vinegars, mustards, and a bunch of other stuff. Only once did i buy something that was spoiled, it was a small bag of donuts for 99cents. I opened it in the van for my boys and they had some mold on them. I took them right back in and they refunded the money back promptly....no problems at all. But that has been the only time i have bought something that was bad.

I find good canned tomatoes there as well and stock up when i am going to make a big batch of sauce.

sometimes, if i see something there and i dont recognize the name, i write it down then come research it at home. If i find that it has good reviews and is something people really like then i go back and get it.

it is a good place for staples. But like you said, you have to be careful because i too have noticed that there are some things that you can get cheaper at the grocery store. Especially when prices started going up, i noticed that most things were going up a bit... so had to take more notice about certain things.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:11 am

BevP wrote:I will try and answer your question and Robins all in one reply....

Thanks, Bev! Those aren't in my neighborhood (Crescent Hill), but heck, I get all over town. It might be a good time to go get some lengua tacos at La Tapatia and check out the one on Preston while I'm out there.

I don't think I would be embarrassed, and I certainly wouldn't snob on anyone for shopping there. I think it's SMART to look for value!
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Been shopping at B&E for years. We buy olive oil, flour, charcoal, cleaners....all types of stuff. There is one on Preston and one on Dixie. You pay almost nothing compared to a regular grocery store.

Sometimes you can find amazing things. Not ashamed to save a buck.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed May 04, 2011 12:09 am

Before you go to B& E just fyi they are closed on Sundays...I believe they open at 9:30 or 10 am Mon-Sat and close like 8pm Mon-Thurs and 6p on Fri and 4p on Sat
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed May 04, 2011 12:19 am

Robin Garr wrote:
BevP wrote:I will try and answer your question and Robins all in one reply....

Thanks, Bev! Those aren't in my neighborhood (Crescent Hill), but heck, I get all over town. It might be a good time to go get some lengua tacos at La Tapatia and check out the one on Preston while I'm out there.

I don't think I would be embarrassed, and I certainly wouldn't snob on anyone for shopping there. I think it's SMART to look for value!

Well Robin you don't understand this was about the time I was first married and I was just learning what was cool and what wasn't....for instance me and hubby went to Actors Theater and while we were waiting in the lobby to go in I thought everybody was looking at me smiling cause I was looking good...turns out I had my skirt tucked into my pantyhose in the back when I went to the ladies room...a kind lady finally told me....so I really had a lot to learn back then. Now that was embarassing
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 am

BevP wrote:Now that was embarassing

Bev, it's a real gift to be able to laugh at ourselves, but sometimes we have to wait a few years after the fact before we can do it. :?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun May 08, 2011 8:01 am

I've never shopped at any of the salvage stores only because there are none in my area. With gas prices as high as they are I figure what I save in the store I'll spend in gas. I DO shop a great deal at Big Lots. Many of the items they have aren't outdated or discontinued items but products that are currently undergoing some sort of marketing change (ie,,, new logos, new packaging look, or in many cases, new packing size and price point.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 am

Bev, Mark and Becky...I got a great laugh out of the fact that you all are B&E regulars. My mom is too and she has been going to those stores since I was in high school, and I am 35 now. She loves B&E...her and my aunt are there pretty much ever single Monday! That place is like a religion / addiction to her! LOL. The best thing about it, is that her house is a virtual pantry for me and my two younger sisters, cousins, neighbors, and anyone else who might need a can of artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, or a seasonong mix / rub. At least once a month I receive a bag full of goodies that she paid just a few bucks for to fill and expand my cupboard. As you said, some great deals / finds are to be had at B&E...if it was closer to my house, Kroger would not receive as much of my grocery $$$.

I think I will have to take a trip out to B&E one Monday in the near future. DD
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 pm

BevP wrote:First question...Does anybody here on the forums admit to shopping at the salvage groceries, well other than me that is?
Second question...Do you have any suggestions for using White Truffle Oil?

I went to the salvage grocery and found a can,8oz of white truffle oil, for all of $1.29. Yes I admit the best by date was Feb 28 2011 but I figured why not.
I love to find odd stuff at the place, I do not buy dented cans or extremely out of date stuff but I think of it as an adventure, plus they will gladly take back anything that you purchase that is unacceptable once you get it home.
Thanks for suggestions

1st off... at $1.29 a bottle (can) for truffle oil, I can easily see myself buying 50 bottles or more if the quality is even just 'decent'

as for applications, I've gotten hold of a few bottles of truffle oil in the last few months and I've found myself using it for ALL sorts of things.

-finishing a bowl of soup with a few drops right on top
-truffled scrambled eggs/omelettes are awesome
-tossing with fries or chips
-using in mac n cheese
-great addition to an herby vinaigrette
-a light pasta dish with herbs, garlic, white wine, olive oil, and a little good parm benefits greatly from a drizzle
-i made a wild mushroom pizza and finished with a few drops after it came from the oven, THAT was a pretty killer pie!
...and on and on and on...

a few key things to keep in mind... a little bit of truffle oil goes a long way.
the closer to the end of the cooking process you add the truffle oil, the more flavor intensity you will preserve. when i make fries or chips with it, i always toss them with whatever seaoning i'm using right before they go to the plate.
an atomizer or a 'misting' spray bottle is useful for dispensing evenly.
i've even found myself carrying a dropper-style bottle of truffle oil with me when i go out sometimes. i've made a LOT of friends by offering to 'baptize' their fries
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits