Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Morel motherlode...recipe suggestions?

by AmyBK » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:06 pm

I hit the morel motherlode today! Some families have easter egg hunts; we hunt morels. Having limited cooking experience with them, I wondered if anyone had a favorite preparation or recipe. I've been thinking about a risotto, perhaps. Suggestions appreciated.
no avatar
User

Bruce W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 am

Re: Morel motherlode...recipe suggestions?

by Bruce W » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 am

The best way I've had them is to batter them in seasoned flour and fry them in a little butter. Nothing fancy, but tasty.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:00 am

Amy, Congrats on the big "score"...In addition to frying them up in flour and butter, I've always made a point of drying my Morels for later use in soups and stews.

BTW...and I wish I could locate the pictures I took to put show you what several dozen bushels of Morels look like on the drying racks...I got in on the tail end of a mushroom score along the banks of the Minnesota River a few years back that was of biblical proportions. In one week my friends family harvested well over a dozen BUSHELS of Morels. The day I hunted with them, my "take" alone was 4 overflowing paper grocery sacks. Interestingly conditions were very similar to what we have going on here right now...lots and lots of rain, followed by several sunny days and temps in the 70's. If it were me, I'd be out there hunting again this weekend.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks Steve and Bruce for the suggestions. Last night I saute'd shallots, morels, tossed in vermouth and a bit of cream and served it over toast - OK, the original recipe called for brioche, but not having any on hand, we punted. Damn it was good!

Steve, the thread about morels that you started a few years ago got me inspired to hunt. Thanks! We aren't quite at bushel levels yet but I've only covered a few of the acres that have potential.

p.s. If this weekend proves to be good hunting, I'll pass along some to you via Ed V.