Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Dry Brining (pre-salting) technique

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Anybody using this technique for grilling steaks. I'm looking forward to trying it, seems like it would have similar results to dry aging.

http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2011/0 ... -and-meat/

These three quick and simple steps led to great flavor, texture, and succulence:

1. Unwrap your poultry or meat as soon as you bring it home from the market, rinse lightly and pat dry (the experts are at odds whether poultry should be rinsed or simply patted dry, so follow your own instincts here).

2. Sprinkle sea or kosher salt evenly over the entire surface of the meat or poultry. For poultry allow it to air dry (for amazingly crisp skin) or, if crispness isn’t a concern, loosely wrap in plastic wrap.

3. Remove from the fridge 1 hour or so before cooking to allow it to reach room temperature.

There is one crucial thing to keep in mind: You must salt the meat or poultry at least 6 hours before cooking, and preferably 1 to 4 days before.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Re: Dry Brining (pre-salting) technique

by Madeline M » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Alton Brown and Cooks Illustrated have similar techniques for steaks. I tried the CI method once and while it was good, it wasn't so vastly different and outstanding that I made it a regular habit. Though I recall them only suggesting a 4 hour minimum with salt, but you did bring it to room temp for an hour.

Let me know how it turns out for you. I may have to try it again, I know when I tried it before I was using a smaller grill and had less grilling experience so it could have been the cook more than the technique.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Dry Brining (pre-salting) technique

by Steve P » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:20 am

Hmmmmm....sounds VERY interesting. Gonna give this a try within the next couple of weeks (and will report back). If successful I will credit Justin and Cooks Illustrated as I am loath to give Alton Brown credit for anything other than being a spiky headed moron. 8) :P
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio