Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Costco, Sams Club and (eventually) Trader Joes!

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm

What are some of your must have items from the above listed places?

We mostly go to Costco now since we live off of Westport Road, but we do still have our Sam's Club membership as well.

Things we get from Costco and LOVE:

1. USDA prime steaks. Awesome quality and great prices!

2. Alcohol. It's almost always cheaper at Costco.

3. Cakes. Whenever I take one of their cakes (or Sam's) into my kid's classrooms, I'm surrounded by salivating kids and teachers alike. They're not the prettiest, but you can always add your own decorations if you like.

4. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Great quality at great prices!

5. Fresh vegetables and fruit. Lots of organics; much better prices than grocery stores.

6. Paper products; we buy paper towels, napkins, and disposable cutlery. We have not tried their Kirkland brand TP yet, but it's next on the list. Apparently it gets great reviews.

7. John just found an awesome ravioli that he loves. Like many here, he was born and raised in New Yawk. (Italian, natch) and he says it's the closest he's had to home. High praise from him!

8. Frozen chicken tenders in a big bag. We buy these for our spoiled dogs' dinners.

9. Philadelphia Cream Cheese you can get a six pack for around six bucks.

10. Lots of baking stuff, huge bags of Ghiradelli chocolate chips, big bags of pecans or walnuts, Real vanilla extract. Some people think it's too "alcoholy" *lol* but I think it's just fine!

11. Seasonal items such as roses, wreaths, and grills.

12. Seasonal chocolate from France. YUM!!!

We don't go to Sam's as often any more but when we do, I love to look at their books. I'd also get pillows there rather than at Costco. (quality at a cheaper price) Oh, and we'd get gas at either place!

I've never been to Trader Joe's but I can't wait to try it. I'm sure we're missing some stuff...so what do you get at these places? What wouldn't you ever get again?
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Costco, Sams Club and (eventually) Trader Joes!

by Lois Mauk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm

We also have memberships at both Costco and Sam's. As we live in Jeffersonville, Sam's is a lot more convenient but, frankly, I **PREFER** Costco far and above Sam's.

That having been said, I do get one item at Sam's that's not available at Costco --

OdoBan Odor Eliminator -- cleans, disinfects, sanitizes and deodorizes all precleaned hard, nonporous household surfaces. OdoBan eliminates unpleasant odors on washable surfaces such as upholstery, carpets, bedding, showers, walls and floors while leaving a fresh scent. This industrial liquid odor eliminator leaves no residue and has a variety of uses.

Excellent for Fire Restoration

What is OdoBan?

A Deodorizer… eliminates unpleasant odors on washable surfaces such as upholstery, carpets, bedding, showers, walls and floors while leaving a fresh scent.

A Sanitizer… kills 99.99% of germs such as †Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep), Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E.coli)(pathogenic strain), Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus (Staph) and Klebsiella pneumoniae on hard, nonporous, nonfood contact surfaces in 60 seconds.

A Disinfectant… fungicidal against germs ‡such as Trichophyton mentagrophyte (the athlete's foot fungus), when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas and exercise facilities.

A Mildewstat… effectively controls and inhibits the growth of mold and mildew.

A Virucide*… kills *HIV-1 (AIDS Virus), Influenza A/Hong Kong and Herpes Simplex type 2 in 60 seconds.

AWESOME product. I just ran out yesterday and am considering a trip to Sam's this week JUST to restock. (A gallon of the concentrate lasts us for month and we use it consistently for washing towels, dog beds, whatever.)

This product is supposed to be available at Home Depot as well but I haven't gone looking for it there yet as I assume it is cheaper at Sam's.

http://www.odoban.com/where-to-buy.php
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I remember using that stuff a long time ago. I know we used it to clean up after pets...perhaps when I was raising Himalayans? Good stuff!
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

I don't have a Costco membership but I would like to check it out. Can we trade guest passes? Vie never looked to see if SAMs has them.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:33 pm

You get much better use out of your Costco membership than we do! We buy brisket and pork butt during grilling season, occassionally fruit (just had some of the best organic strawberries from there a few weeks ago) and dog food.

We have one great dane that has a very finicky stomach and I was home cooking for her but was told to try out Nature's Domain from a top dane breeder. Sure enough, everyone eats it without complaint and no tummy upset for the last 6 months. It's a Costco exclusive and made by Diamond, it's very close to their Taste of the Wild grain free formula but not quite as rich (TotW upset her) and about the half price.

We picked up a package of Kirkland brand tissues/kleenex and they are super thin and tear when you pull them out of the box, not to mention when you use them. I wouldn't suggest buying those...spend the couple dollars more and get Kleenex or Puffs.

Forgot to mention Trader Joes! Their cereals are really good! They also have awesome oreo knock off's called Joe-Joes, the peppermint ones at Christmas are worth fighting for...they have a really high demand at the holidays and go fast. If you like cherry deserts, they have jarred cherries (want to say Morellos?) that are incredible. They aren't sweetened and are in a natural juice, but they retain their texture so you can use them for a cherry pie or they are good in thumb cookies or on cheesecake...or even just by themselves!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Art T wrote:I don't have a Costco membership but I would like to check it out. Can we trade guest passes? Vie never looked to see if SAMs has them.

I believe Costco will give you a one day guest pass to look around. (not sure if you can shop, you'd have to ask.)

Also, Costco will refund your membership, at any point in your yearly membership, if you request. So really, a Costco membership is no risk. (unless you're like my husband and would rather lose the money than just ask. :wink: He also won't ask for directions but I digress...)
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Madeline M wrote:You get much better use out of your Costco membership than we do! We buy brisket and pork butt during grilling season, occassionally fruit (just had some of the best organic strawberries from there a few weeks ago) and dog food.

We have one great dane that has a very finicky stomach and I was home cooking for her but was told to try out Nature's Domain from a top dane breeder. Sure enough, everyone eats it without complaint and no tummy upset for the last 6 months. It's a Costco exclusive and made by Diamond, it's very close to their Taste of the Wild grain free formula but not quite as rich (TotW upset her) and about the half price.

We picked up a package of Kirkland brand tissues/kleenex and they are super thin and tear when you pull them out of the box, not to mention when you use them. I wouldn't suggest buying those...spend the couple dollars more and get Kleenex or Puffs.

Forgot to mention Trader Joes! Their cereals are really good! They also have awesome oreo knock off's called Joe-Joes, the peppermint ones at Christmas are worth fighting for...they have a really high demand at the holidays and go fast. If you like cherry deserts, they have jarred cherries (want to say Morellos?) that are incredible. They aren't sweetened and are in a natural juice, but they retain their texture so you can use them for a cherry pie or they are good in thumb cookies or on cheesecake...or even just by themselves!

I've read about the quality of Costco's dog food. Nice!

TJ's sounds awesome! Can't wait!
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 pm

They also have awesome oreo knock off's called Joe-Joes, the peppermint ones at Christmas are worth fighting for...they have a really high demand at the holidays and go fast.

We picked some of these up at Aldi's (who is a parent/associated company to TJ's) over the holidays and they were excellent. Probably same cookie, different name!!!