Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Who carries Honey Goat Cheese?

by Lois Mauk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:25 pm

I was buying Honey Goat Cheese (can't remember the "brand" name) at either Sam's or Costco. Haven't been able to find it for a month or so. We've checked both places repeatedly and neither of them have it.

Anyone know who else carries Honey Goat Cheese in town?

Thanks.

Lois
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Well Lois, you've appeared to stump the forum on this one. I've never had honey goat cheese, but it sounds delicious. I wonder, would it be simple to duplicate by just adding a touch of honey to regular goat cheese? I'm guessing not, but it could be worth a try. Depending on how far you're willing to take this, you could check out http://www.thebettercheddar.com or http://www.igourmet.com (look for Capra brand) and order online. Happy hunting and let us know if you happen upon it locally again, I'd love to try it!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:59 am

BTW, I checked Saturday at Whole Foods. They don't have it either. In fact, they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about Honey Goat Cheese.

I know I'm not making this up! I really did buy it. It was either Sam's or Costco (I think the latter). I've written Costco (no response yet). I was hoping Whole Foods would have it, but apparently not. I need to call Lotsa Pasta and check with them.

Any other possibilities?

:cry:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:09 am

Lois Mauk wrote:Any other possibilities?

Lois, I'm as puzzled as everyone else - I don't recall ever seeing honey goat cheese for sale commercially either (although I agree that it sounds very tasty).

But seriously, why not pick up a simple "log" of plain Capriole goat cheese at Lotsa Pasta, Burger's, Doll's or another of the local suspects, put it in a bowl, mash it with a spoon, and work in a little honey until it tastes right, then store it in an airtight tub in the fridge?

If it works, you could play around and try some subtle variations with your second batch. A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg or allspice with the honey? Or maybe just a tiny bit of hot sauce to give it a piquant hot-sweet zing?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:23 am

I found it on Amazon - sounds tasty! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Capra-Goat-Honey- ... B0000TU8CG

We are going to Cinci next weekend, I'll look for it at Jungle Jim's.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:54 am

Two reasons, Robin.

#1 -- I'm lazy. And
#2 -- It never occurred to me to try to make up a goat cheese "spread" with honey mixed it.

The cheese I've been buying is in the usual "log" form and I slice it up and add it to salads, etc. Making a blend will certainly change the form. Might be an option though.

Lois
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 pm

I checked with Lotsa Pasta and THEY CARRY IT! Capra brand Honey Goat Cheese. I'll be in Morehead all weekend, but I'll definitely run by there next week!!

Thanks.

Lois