Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Ribs Without Smoke

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Ribs Without Smoke

by JustinHammond » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:44 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/dinin ... ted=1&_r=1

CONVENTIONAL wisdom holds that pork ribs taste best when cooked outdoors on a grill or smoker. Conventional wisdom hasn’t experienced the sweet-sour balsamic-glazed St. Louis-cut spare ribs at Animal in Los Angeles. The restaurant’s chefs, Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, prepare them in a way that most barbecue purists would never order, much less eat: baked in the oven.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Ribs Without Smoke

by Brad Keeton » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:47 pm

A full day has passed and no Steve P. comment on this? :shock:
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:A full day has passed and no Steve P. comment on this? :shock:

Stevie Biyaldi?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:A full day has passed and no Steve P. comment on this? :shock:

Someone used the words "Los Angeles", "Ribs" and "Sweet and Sour Balsamic Glaze" all in the same sentence. The words kinda speak for themselves, so no need to comment.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Steve P wrote:

Someone used the words "Los Angeles", "Ribs" and "Sweet and Sour Balsamic Glaze" all in the same sentence. The words kinda speak for themselves, so no need to comment.

I thought you would like that.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Seems like a really bad idea.
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 am

How about the words Texas, and BBQ, is that OK? My first rib joint was T W Lee's, in Lexington, back in the early 80's. We mass produced a ton of ribs with the "slow poach" method and it was a decent product, after grilling and sauce. ( Cattlemans, it was the only one back then) So for smoking it has got to be mesquite!! I came up with this dry rub that was cumin and brn sugar dominant and it worked with all your proteins. "And this one time at band camp" :lol: , I catered a party and smoked 200 lbs of salmon, book filet style. Killer. I will definately bring some back when I go visit my daughter next month. Mesquite is pretty pungent, but it is the best "smoking wood", I ever used.