Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Steelhead or Red Snapper

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Steelhead or Red Snapper

by Carla G » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:09 am

One of my clients asked me for a good recipe for each. (BTW what she's getting is very fresh and beautiful. I gotta ask her where they're coming from cause they looked just killed.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Steelhead or Red Snapper

by Carla G » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:10 am

[quote="Carla G"]One of my clients asked me for a good recipe for each. Or at least a good recipe link for either. (BTW what she's getting is very fresh and beautiful. I gotta ask her where they're coming from cause they looked just killed.)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 am

I like my trout and snapper prepared very simply. Trout usually gets grilled and basted with Italian dressing. Snapper gets stuffed with peppers, onions, tomatoes, herbs, garlic, chilies and grilled.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Pan-roast the Snapper, skin on...

Skin-side down in an oven-ready sautee'. Approximately 4-6 minutes, depending upon the size of the filet. Flip and finish in a 350d oven for another 2-3 minutes. Drizzle clarified butter, add chopped flatleaf parsley and a squeeze of lemon to finish. Also, slightly oven-roasted and halved roma tomatoes make for a fine accompaniment.

Steelhead Trout lends itself to the en pappilote method.

Make a large pouch of reynolds wrap, shiny-side in. Make a bed of thinly sliced onion, mushrooms, fresh herbs and even cubed potato (first cooked al dente.) Add the fish. Dust with salt, pepper and pimenton and seal the pouch, leaving one side open. Pour a little white wine in the pouch and seal. Cook at 375d for 9-12 minutes. The fish stays incredibly moist and the vegetables provide and excellent side dish. You might want to drain off the cooking liquid and create a pan-buerre blanc. Simply bring to a light boil and add knobs of butter- allowing each to melt into the sauce until a desired texture is reached. Garnish with a nice sprinkle of capers.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Stephen D wrote:Steelhead Trout lends itself to the en pappilote method.

Make a large pouch of reynolds wrap, shiny-side in. Make a bed of thinly sliced onion, mushrooms, fresh herbs and even cubed potato (first cooked al dente.) Add the fish. Dust with salt, pepper and pimenton and seal the pouch, leaving one side open. Pour a little white wine in the pouch and seal. Cook at 375d for 9-12 minutes. The fish stays incredibly moist and the vegetables provide and excellent side dish. You might want to drain off the cooking liquid and create a pan-buerre blanc. Simply bring to a light boil and add knobs of butter- allowing each to melt into the sauce until a desired texture is reached. Garnish with a nice sprinkle of capers.

damn, that sounds great! Where can I find trout?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Whole Foods usually has whole "regular" rainbow trout, don't know about Steelhead. They are pretty much the same fish anyway.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am

These sound great! I'll pass them on to her. Thank you so much guys.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Steelhead are a "searun" (or in the case of the Great Lakes a "lake run") Rainbow Trout...They have spawning migrations much like any specie of Salmon but do not die after spawning and instead return to the sea. The largest one I ever caught weighed close to 20 pounds and came from the Naha River near Ketchikan Alaska...The "big one" was released but several of her smaller relatives tasted really good grilled over our open campfire. :D
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio