Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

buying dry aged beef

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

buying dry aged beef

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Was at the Kroger on Hubbards Lane yesterday . . . they had a massive redecorating, and now it's a copy of Whole Foods! One thing they were demonstrating was their new dry aged premium Angus beef; the only Kroger in town (and I think the only grocery) that has dry aged beef (very different flavor profile and texture than wet aged).

In tasting a sample of rib-eye, it had the full flavor and texture of dry-aged, and was wonderful!

I haven't bought beef in Kroger for years now, as (at least at Holiday Manor) it is uniformly evil, but this was spectacular. For all I know, the prices will be spectacular also, but in case you're in the market for some . . .
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: buying dry aged beef

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:13 pm

andrew mellman wrote:the only Kroger in town (and I think the only grocery) that has dry aged beef

Whole Foods has it sometimes, or at least they used to. Not local, but at least subject to their standards on hormones and humaneness and such. It was very pricey - $25 per pound, IIRC - but definitely the real deal. Since we've moved over to an effort to buy meat and poultry 99.44% locally I haven't looked in recent years, but I assume they still have it on an as-available basis.

Might have to try the Kroger model just once, though, for science's sake. :wink: Did they talk at all about sourcing, Andrew?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:the only Kroger in town (and I think the only grocery) that has dry aged beef

Whole Foods has it sometimes, or at least they used to. Not local, but at least subject to their standards on hormones and humaneness and such. It was very pricey - $25 per pound, IIRC - but definitely the real deal. Since we've moved over to an effort to buy meat and poultry 99.44% locally I haven't looked in recent years, but I assume they still have it on an as-available basis.

Might have to try the Kroger model just once, though, for science's sake. :wink: Did they talk at all about sourcing, Andrew?

Krogers + Unionized = "Like"

Whole Foods - EXTREMELY Anti-Union = "UnLike".

I'll do my shopping at Kroger, thank you very much...regardless of "sourcing".
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I did not ask about sourcing. I know some items Kroger sources locally, but have no idea about Angus.
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:09 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:53 pm

I recall being in Burgers a few years ago and the butcher mentioned that they age their meat there. I don't know if it is dry or wet. Until now, I didn't know there were two different methods. I learned something new today.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm with everyone on aging...

Dry aged is rockstar, particularly with fattier cuts. It actually allows you to cook things like ribeye at a rarer temperature, while enhancing flavor and rendering fats properly.

I'm not such a huge fan of dry-aged, lean cuts like tenderloin (unless served carpaccio.) Too difficult to manage correctly.

But that's just me.