Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Spoonbill caviar

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Spoonbill caviar

by carla griffin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:38 am

This was such a hot new KY product 10 years and got rave reviews nationaly for it's quality and taste. Now you never hear anything about it. What happened? Did anyone try to capitalize on it or is it in Louisville restaurants? :?:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am

I know that 610 Magnolia uses it pretty often. And I've had it other places. I thought it had sort of become a Louisville staple product.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Spoonbill caviar

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 am

carla griffin wrote:This was such a hot new KY product 10 years and got rave reviews nationaly for it's quality and taste. Now you never hear anything about it. What happened? Did anyone try to capitalize on it or is it in Louisville restaurants? :?:

I'm fairly sure that Lewis Shuckman still makes it, Carla, but I agree, it doesn't show up much. I think the problem may be that it's still a very pricey product, and to be honest, very much a niche market, one where he's trying to compete with beluga and osetra at the high end, and (relatively) cheap lumpfish caviar and roes at the lower end. People like Kentucky products, but I figure a lot of high-end restaurants figure that when you're paying close to osetra prices, you might as well just get osetra. It's not like caviar is a traditional Kentucky product ...

I just saw Lewis register for the forum the other day. Maybe this subject will draw him out of the woodwork?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Spoonbill caviar

by Steve Shade » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:41 pm

carla griffin wrote:This was such a hot new KY product 10 years and got rave reviews nationaly for it's quality and taste. Now you never hear anything about it. What happened? Did anyone try to capitalize on it or is it in Louisville restaurants? :?:

Lewis Shuckman is still in business at 30th and Main. Used to be able to buy his products at this location and probably still can. Probably can find them at specialty stores .. Lotsa Pasta .. Dolls .. Burgers if you don't want to go to 30th and Main.. Not only paddlefish caviar, but rainbow trout and salmon caviar. His website provides contact info, so you may be able to find locations that retail his products.

Also various smoked fish products. Rather expensive, but very good. A two ounce tin of paddlefish caviar sells for 40.00. Interesting, but I really don't have anything to compare it to because that is the only caviar I have had.

I used to do some service work for him and traded product for service. I was always satisfied.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Shuckmans

by Steve Shade » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Meant to show website on the above post.

kysmokedfish.com

Robin .. I noticed that Lewis posted a help wanted ad on the new part of the forum, which is probably why he registered.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Thanks to you all for the rapid response and great information. I'll check out Dolls or Burgers this weekend. :!:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost