Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

A Different Dumpling Question

by Jessie H » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 pm

perhaps i should have added this to the other thread about chicken and dumplings, but i thought maybe it was more a chemistry question than a "chicken and dumplings" question. at any rate, i made a batch of chicken and dumplings on thursday evening. usually i use refrigerated biscuit dough and just drop it in boiling broth. this was the first time i had made dumplings from scratch. the dumplings called for flour, butter, milk and baking powder. i made the dumplings and dropped them into the boiling broth and then added my cooked chicken. it simmered for 20 minutes until the dumplings were done and then i seasoned the pot with salt and pepper. it was a great supper and i was very happy with it. i had some of the leftovers on friday evening and they were even better the next day. on sunday evening i heated up a bowl and after a few bites, i started to notice a strange taste. it was somewhat chemical-y or maybe bitter or sour. i don't know how exactly to describe it. there was no strange odor, though. all the ingredients i used were well within their use-by dates. has anyone experienced this before with dumplings or other pastries? my mom thought maybe it had something to do with the baking powder. what happened to my dumplings? help :?
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A Different Dumpling Question

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:42 am

Jessie H wrote:my mom thought maybe it had something to do with the baking powder. what happened to my dumplings? help :?

I think your mom is right, Jessie. Baking powder does an important task of leavening, but it does add some chemicals - mostly cream of tartar, but also some other additives - that you don't have in baking soda, and you can't just substitute one for the other.

Some people think it's the aluminum carbonate in baking powder that imparts an odd flavor, and if you want to experiment, you can buy aluminum-free baking powder if you look around. Places like Rainbow Blossom would be likely to have it.
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:58 pm

thank you for the input, robin. i think next time i'll just try a different recipe. so, does anyone have a good recipe for flat or rolled dumplings that doesn't contain baking powder?

amen.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:41 am

Jessie H wrote: does anyone have a good recipe for flat or rolled dumplings that doesn't contain baking powder?

Let me ask Mary ... she's a farm girl and usually does the country cooking around our house. :lol:
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Jessie H wrote:thank you for the input, robin. i think next time i'll just try a different recipe. so, does anyone have a good recipe for flat or rolled dumplings that doesn't contain baking powder?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

Contains baking powder, but the aluminum free kind.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

brad, alton's my favorite. i should have known he would have a dumpling recipe, being a southerner and all. :)

amen.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I just use the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box but I'm assuming there is some baking powder in the mix as well. I double the recipe and knead the hell out of one half (some of my family members like a tough. heavy dumpling) These I roll out and cut then cook. The other half I treat just like I would biscuit dough... knead it just barely enough to bring all the ingredients together. Then I drop the dough in rounded table spoon size blobs.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson