Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

empanadas

User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

empanadas

by DeeDee D » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Does anyone know where I can get pre made (fresh or frozen) empanada dough? A recipe I found calls for it and I have never heard of it.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

Re: empanadas

by James Paul » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:37 am

DeeDee D wrote:Does anyone know where I can get pre made (fresh or frozen) empanada dough? A recipe I found calls for it and I have never heard of it.

And here it is, sounds like a pie crust! better ask Mr Ray.

DOUGH:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup lard
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
About 1/2 cup iced water

In a large bowl, combine the flour with the lard, butter, and salt. Mix lightly with your fingertips until the dough forms grapesized pieces. You should still be able to see streaks of fat. Stir in the water. Lightly knead, handling the dough as little as possible, until the dough forms a ball. Add a little more water if needed. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then remove and let it return to room temperature, about 1 hour, before rolling. The dough can be frozen for as long as a week. Pinch off about half the dough. Roll out, on a floured surface, to a thickness of 1/8inch. Cut out 3inch circles. Then, gather the scraps, add to the rest of the dough, and roll out another batch of circles. Repeat, with the rest of the scraps. This should be enough dough for about 24 empanadas.

8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Re: empanadas

by Carolyne Davis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:05 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Does anyone know where I can get pre made (fresh or frozen) empanada dough? A recipe I found calls for it and I have never heard of it.

Easier than making them is buying them at Creation Gardens. Not sure of the brand name, but they are really excellent. Also, not sure what part of town you are in, but you might try LaPerfrida (spelling) at the corner of Bardstown Road and Watterson Trail. It's a hispanic grocery. Not to mention the Value Market out Iroquois way.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:21 pm

Call A. Thomas Foodservice off Nelson Miller Parkway. They sale cash and carry to the public.