Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

I'm starting a vegetable garden...

by Adam Smith » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 am

preferably organic. Nothing big to start; tomatoes, herbs and maybe some other stuff. Anyhow, I'm a first time gardener and was looking for any and all advice. I've been reading up on how to get started but I could use some pointers from anyone with a green thumb.
:D
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: I'm starting a vegetable garden...

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 am

It's pretty simple. The hardest part is removing the sod, if you know someone with a nice tiller you are in luck. Remove the sod and "turn the soil" very well, maybe toss in some old leaves, scrap vegetables, ect. and turn or till again. I buy some of my plants from Bunton's and John Hagan (Mt eden Greenhouse) and start some from seed. Make sure the plants have plenty of room, water, and sunshine and you'll be good to go.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 am

Adam Smith wrote:preferably organic. Nothing big to start; tomatoes, herbs and maybe some other stuff. Anyhow, I'm a first time gardener and was looking for any and all advice. I've been reading up on how to get started but I could use some pointers from anyone with a green thumb.
:D

My advice would be to read the book "Square Foot Gardening". It is available at any bookstore, Lowes or Home Depot.

I have been using "square foot gardening" techniques for years and it is without a doubt the best system for the home gardener. It is amazing the amount of food you can get out of just one 4' x 8' foot raised bed (which eliminates the need to remove the sod).

Here is a link to the website: http://www.squarefootgardening.org/
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:59 pm

http://www.15thousandfarmers.com/Getting_Started.html

This is what Steve is talking about, but focused on this area.

I've never been a fan of raised gardens as they tend to be more work for me. They seem to dry out faster than a traditional garden and I'm not the best at watering.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

I second square foot gardening. I implemented the techniques and yielded twice as much as I did from my old techniques.

There's a new organic gardening store, Bluegrass Organics, on the corner of Frankfort Ave. & Stilz (where Mom's Music used to be). I haven't been in, but I'm sure it's worth checking out. From what I've heard, the owners would be very willing to educate you and help you get started.
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys. I was already planning on checking out New Earth in J-town, the Bluegrass place looks like another information source to check in to..

Thanks again.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Adam Smith wrote:Thanks for all the responses guys. I was already planning on checking out New Earth in J-town, the Bluegrass place looks like another information source to check in to..

Thanks again.

Naturally Hortons, just down the street from Horton's Hardware in the Douglas Loop, is also a nice source.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

I've been using raised beds for several years and I love the method. I have about 250 sq. feet in 8 beds. If you can get a pickup truck, Nugent Sand on River Road sells a load of compost for around $20. There is a new organic garden store on Jefferson right next to Bunton Seeds. Steve, the owner, is very helpful. If you have a couple of shop lights, now is a good time to start seeds indoors. Good luck with the salads.
Is that a raw fish in your pocket or are you just glad sashimi?
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Just stumbled across this article on pre-planned gardens.....
http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden ... lt,pg.html
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks, Leann!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:25 am

So I have been thinking about starting a small garden as well that I could work with my four year old daughter. I picked up Square Foot Gardening the other day and think we will give it a try. Home depot was even selling a 4' x4' cedar raised bed kit for $35 that looks like it will be perfect. My question for those who have done this method is this: Did you you use the mix suggested in the book for soil or did you just go with a gardening soil in a bag? THanks for any thoughts on this.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Kris,

Great idea! I'm convinced my older daughter loves veggies because I started gardening with her this way at age 1. Used to pick the tomotoes off the plants and eat them like an apple.

Don't use garden soil bags- it's not friable enough for raised bed use. It needs to both hold water and drain well. Either use their recipe ( great book!) or buy something designed for raised beds. If you join 15 Thousand Farmers, there was a deal last year from Plant Kingdom ( and others) on soil-mixes designed for raised beds. I filled my newest bed with the stuff.

Note- for tomotoes and other deep-root plants, it's best to expend the effort to dig up the sod /soil under the raised bed- your plants will do much better that way ( and need less water ).

Good Luck!