Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Monkfish, locally?

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Monkfish, locally?

by RonnieD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 am

I'm not a big seafood chef, so I generally only cook what I know well. However, I am looking to expand my repertoire and monkfish is on the menu. Is there anyone locally that sources fresh monkfish, or anyone reputable that carries it frozen?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Monkfish, locally?

by Gayle DeM » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 am

Q: What seafood should I avoid?

A: Greenpeace have identified a list of species which are under particular pressure. We are asking supermarkets to stop selling these species, a process that concerned consumers can help influence further by avoiding these species when they buy fish. The species are:

Atlantic cod (except cod from Marks & Spencer and Waitrose, and line-caught Icelandic)
Plaice
Tuna, including Albacore, Bigeye and Bluefin (but excluding Skipjack)
Tropical prawns (wild and farmed)
Haddock (except line-caught Icelandic)
European Hake
Atlantic Halibut
Monkfish
Atlantic salmon (wild and farmed)
Swordfish
Marlin
Sharks (including dog fish and huss)
Skates and rays.

from http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/oceans/what-we-are-doing/sustainable-seafood/sustainable-seafood-frequently-asked-questions#4

Monkfish
Bycatch and habitat concerns in the monkfish fishery make this fish an “Avoid.”

Consumer Note
Monkfish is known as ankoh when prepared for sushi, and the liver is sold as ankimo. Monkfish is often sold fresh or frozen as goosefish. It may also be known as angler, molligut, bellyfish, lawyerfish and fishing frog.

Summary
The warty brown skin of the monkfish hides tasty fillets of white meat, and monkfish liver is considered a delicacy in Japan and Europe and is often used in sushi.

This bottom-dwelling fish was at one time discarded when caught accidentally in the Atlantic cod and scallopfisheries. As these other fisheries declined, monkfish began to be marketed as gourmet fare.

Monkfish are usually caught using bottom trawls, a method that can damage seafloor habitat and often results in high bycatch. Monkfish are also caught using gillnets, and this can result in the accidental catch and death of sea turtles and marine mammals.

Recipe Alternatives
Catfish (farmed), rainbow trout (farmed), and tilapia (farmed) from the U.S. are all "Best Choices."

fromhttps://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=13
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm

I've seen it at Seafood Connection, Ronnie, but I expect it's an occasional product rather than a regular one. Might be worth a call.
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:46 pm

If Greenpeace is against it that makes it more tasty.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am

Wow, Gayle! Most of the fishies on their list are delicious and fairly commonly found on dinner tables across the country. What fish do GP expect us to eat? And how can they leave off tilapia, the most nutritiously worthless fish ever to swim the briny seas? No one should eat that on principle.

Crazy, I tell you.

Thanks Robin, I'll check!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 am

Dear Ronnie,
I think Highland Fish Market may carry it-- Have you tried Restaurant Depot? i'm pleasantly surprised at their selection of many meat & fish.
Good Luck!
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 am

RonnieD wrote: What fish do GP expect us to eat?

While Im not a fan of GP I am a fan of the American fisherman. It is in their and our best interest to follow sustainable fisheries. The following link is a printable guide that seems very practical and is without the over the top GP rhetoric.
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/c ... lGuide.pdf

RonnieD wrote: And how can they leave off tilapia, the most nutritiously worthless fish ever to swim the briny seas? No one should eat that on principle.Crazy, I tell you.

The only thing I see crazy here is that you think Tilapia swims in the "briny sea". They are a lousy tasting catfish that swims in filthy fecal choked freshwater ditches and ponds.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:11 am

Fair enough, John. I was going for whimsical imagery more than brutal reality, but you are correct, those horrid little beasts do indeed rut about in whatever bilge water will provide them sufficient displacement! :lol:

Thanks for the additional list!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY