Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Sticky/ Fruity chicken.....

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Sticky/ Fruity chicken.....

by Becky M » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 pm

i have a taste for some sticky... fruity type chicken. Have never made it before though. Any suggestions that are easy.... i would like it to be baked as well.

what i have on hand.....

28 chicken drumsticks.
fruit - pears, apples, oranges, cherries, mangoes, bananas and one itty-bitty lime
I have honey, agave nectar, brown sugar, reg sugar.
juices - orange, pineapple, grape

i have onions, green pepper, cilantro, garlic, etc.

could i incorporate cilantro into some sticky chicken, or does that not go together?

any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated......
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Re: Sticky/ Fruity chicken.....

by Carolyne Davis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I think you have the beginnings of a really good dish! Think Caribbean/Puerto Rican and go with mango, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, lime. You can add something spicy and serve over rice!
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Carolyne Davis wrote:I think you have the beginnings of a really good dish! Think Caribbean/Puerto Rican and go with mango, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, lime. You can add something spicy and serve over rice!

i hear ya... but i have no point of reference as to how to start. Should i cook up this concoction? or just bake it on there..... no idea here.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Becky, you need to make a chutney to serve warm over top of your baked chicken pieces. Chutney is a savory/sweet cooked relish. I usually start with fruit and onions and garlic, saute, add brown sugar and then some good vinegar like apple cider or champagne vinegar. Add a lot of hot things like cayenne and sweet chili sauce, and cook down until everything's soft. With your pantry I would use pears, apples, mangoes, onions, garlic, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and pineapple and orange juices, some chili peppers wouldn't be frowned upon, maybe some green chiles, too....then add fruit juice and cook it cook it cook it until it's soft and gooey.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm

You are so good, Marsha!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Becky, you need to make a chutney to serve warm over top of your baked chicken pieces. Chutney is a savory/sweet cooked relish. I usually start with fruit and onions and garlic, saute, add brown sugar and then some good vinegar like apple cider or champagne vinegar. Add a lot of hot things like cayenne and sweet chili sauce, and cook down until everything's soft. With your pantry I would use pears, apples, mangoes, onions, garlic, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and pineapple and orange juices, some chili peppers wouldn't be frowned upon, maybe some green chiles, too....then add fruit juice and cook it cook it cook it until it's soft and gooey.

Marsha.... thanks so much. Your suggestion gave me a good starting point!

I diced an onion and shredded a couple of garlic cloves. I sauteed them with a bit of olive oil, then added the zest of 1 1/2 oranges, along with some bits of orange. i added chili paste, orange juice, and honey. Let that cook for a few minutes, then added some red wine vinegar. What helped and i didnt know was to: cook it cook it cook it. I let it cook for a really long time. and it did get very nice, thick, and gooey. When all was done i threw that sauce along with a lot of freshly chopped cilantro and gave the chicken a good coating.

wow.... it was soooo good. We had it with white rice and puerto rican beans.

Since this has all that sugar in it, would it burn if i tried to bake the chicken with it on? or would it be better to maybe add it in the last 15-20 minutes?

Thanks for the help Marsha. I had tried to make something like this about a year ago, with pork though, and i really butchered it.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:38 am

Sounds good! Yes, you're right, of course, you couldn't bake it on raw chicken long enough to get the chicken done without burning the chutney. Just keep it warm on top of the stove and apply it in the last few minutes of baking!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist