Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Fries/potatoes - Robuchon method

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Fries/potatoes - Robuchon method

by Becky M » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I tried this yesterday. I used a 6 qt enamel cast iron dutch oven.R

Russet potatoes, peeled and diced large, rinsed a couple times, soaked for about an hour, rinsed again, then dried pretty well.

Added the potatoes to the cold pot, filled a little more than a third of the way, but not halfway full..... then added corn oil until they were covered. I actually ran out of the corn oil and i believe it could have used a bit more. I set it to high until the oil came to a full boil. Dropped it down to about an 8 (out of 10), and stirred them around.

It took them about 10 to 15 minutes to cook and they were beautiful. Awesome color, beautiful crispness....i mean really nice.... and really soft and perfect inside.

I think i may have overcrowded a bit... but they were still awesome.

The only problem..... the subsequent batches, i was frying up about 15 potatoes so i couldn't really use the same process, but it was a good way to compare. The first cooking method was the best, hands down.

Has anyone else tried this method of frying? comments....
no avatar
User

Jason R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: Fries/potatoes - Robuchon method

by Jason R » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Strictly French Fries here (not cubed) -- here's my method:

wash/peel/cut into ~ 1/4"-1/2" square fries

add 2 qts water, 2 T white vinegar, & 2 T Kosher salt - boil for 10 minutes; drain

heat peanut oil to 400, cook potatoes 1/3 at a time for about a minute, constantly agitating fries; remove to paper-towel lined sheet pan. allow to cool to room temp (about 30 minutes) -- don't skip this step.

reheat oil to 400 and fry 1/3 at a time for about 3-4 minutes (golden brown); drain in paper towel-lined bowl & season immediately with Kosher salt.

Make sure each time you are adding the next batch of fries to the oil you allow it to re-heat to 400.

These make awesome fries and they don't last long around my house when I make them.