Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Fresh Lettuce!

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Fresh Lettuce!

by Deb Hall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm so excited. I've been craving local greens ( and a visit to a Farmer's Market). Talked to Hagan, and Mt. Eden will have lettuce at the Bardstown Road Farmer's Market tomorrow!
We plan on having butter heads in red,green, and a couple of mixed color butter heads,mini red romaine and a mini green romaine and possibly one other variety
Yum!

Note: Hours at the Winter Market are Saturday 10-12 only.

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Fresh Lettuce!

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I'm so excited. I've been craving local greens ( and a visit to a Farmer's Market). Talked to Hagan, and Mt. Eden will have lettuce at the Bardstown Road Farmer's Market tomorrow!
We plan on having butter heads in red,green, and a couple of mixed color butter heads,mini red romaine and a mini green romaine and possibly one other variety
Yum!

Deb

Lettuce was in a word; "Fabulous!" I think I had one of each of the romaines, butter red and butter green- they were all delish! ( You kind of forget how great real local lettuce tastes, don't you? So happy not to be eating the packaged stuff- taste is totally different. ) It's been 1 1/2 weeks and I'm about to use part of a head for tonight's salad. It keeps extremely well since it's on the root ball - I stored them in those green produce bags when I got home and they are perfect still.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:I'm so excited. I've been craving local greens ( and a visit to a Farmer's Market). Talked to Hagan, and Mt. Eden will have lettuce at the Bardstown Road Farmer's Market tomorrow!
Yum!

Deb

Lettuce was in a word; "Fabulous!" I think I had one of each of the romaines, butter red and butter green- they were all delish! ( You kind of forget how great real local lettuce tastes, don't you? So happy not to be eating the packaged stuff- taste is totally different. ) It's been 1 1/2 weeks and '''m about to use part of a head for tonight's salad. It keeps extremely well since it's on the root ball - I stored them in those green produce bags when I got home and they are perfect still.

Deb

we had fresh romaine from the garden last year through about the end of December. Surely this year we would not have had that success if we had planted it again. Anxious to get the spring crops in!
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I have returned from an 18 day trip to Hawaii, can I get some at the greenhouse?
Nancy Inman
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

Hey Nancy,
18 days in Hawaii sure does sound good.

You can feel free to come up to the greenhouse(or anybody else for that matter) to get some lettuce. We are currently picking every other week and this is our off week. That said, Im sure we can pick out some that is big enough to pick before our next scheduled harvest. We are here planting flowers every day,(making hanging baskets this week) except for Thursdays. Just give us a call 502-738-5502 and we will make sure were here.
Otherwise if anyone has any interest in our lettuce, we will be back at the winter market on Bardstown rd Saturday Feb 5 10am to noon. Keep in mind though we have been selling out by 11 the last couple of times we went.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Hey John-

I'm back from travel ( China) and jones-ing for some of your spring lettuces. Are you going to be at the Market this weekend?

Thanks,
Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Nope sorry,
This is our "off" week. We will be back at market the following Saturday. Deb, I will be out running errands tomorrow and I do have few heads left over from the last harvest. If you like I could meet somewhere and hook you up.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 pm

John Hagan wrote:Nope sorry,
This is our "off" week. We will be back at market the following Saturday. Deb, I will be out running errands tomorrow and I do have few heads left over from the last harvest. If you like I could meet somewhere and hook you up.

John,

If you are going to be on the far East End ( Gene Snyder & Old Henry), then a couple of heads would be good. Otherwise, I'll wait until next week.

Thanks,
Deb