Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Source for Fleur de Sel

no avatar
User

Joan J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Source for Fleur de Sel

by Joan J » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:29 pm

I am itching to make some Caramels with fleur de Sel, as found in a 2004 Gourmet recipe from Epicurious. Where can I buy the salt-- ideally near 40207?

Also, any tips on how to avoid burnt caramel disasters? I ruined a calphalon sauce pan the last time I tried these, but am feeling brave again.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Source for Fleur de Sel

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Joan J wrote:I am itching to make some Caramels with fleur de Sel, as found in a 2004 Gourmet recipe from Epicurious. Where can I buy the salt-- ideally near 40207?

Also, any tips on how to avoid burnt caramel disasters? I ruined a calphalon sauce pan the last time I tried these, but am feeling brave again.

I'm pretty sure you can get it at Lotsa Pasta or Rainbow Blossom or both, and probably Doll's (or in 40205, Burger's), although even being in the neighborhood, a call ahead couldn't hurt.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:08 pm

Give Burgers a look. Last time I was in there they had a ton of funky salts and sugars. I don't recall if Fleur de Sel was there, but they had a lot of different things...I was a tad distracted by a Vanilla Lavendar sugar!

Let us know where you find it, I've been eyeing that same recipe for quite some time and just may have to give it a try finally. Trying to make a knock off from a place in NC and everything I've tried so far has fallen short.

If you have a clip on digital candy thermometer that will make it a bit easier and pull it off the heat a few degrees early, 3-4 degrees. There are a lot of other tips and mistakes in the reviews for the recipe as well.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 pm

If all else fails Creation Gardens definitely has it. Get it before they won't let you in.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 pm

A friend and I made 72 of these caramels one day last month for gifts. If you have a extra set of hands it helps ALOT. We used Real Salt from Meijer's and they were delicious. I also have a large clip on thermometer. The only thing I would really pay close attention to is when you add the cream to the sugar mix. It's hot and it boils violently. We doubled the batches. I wouldn't try a triple.