Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Making Fried Green Tomatoes?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Making Fried Green Tomatoes?

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 pm

I am lucky to have in-laws in Eastern Kentucky who came to visit this weekend, and brought me bounty from their "garden" (it's about 1/2 acre).

I have a number of green tomatoes and I'm looking for a really stellar way to prepare them. I wasn't raised around here, and will readily admit that frying is not my best (or favorite) cooking technique. Can anyone help with great ways to prepare these?

Thanks!
Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:09 am

I am not Southern born and bred, but I have lived in Kentucky since 1976 and in that time have received many a basket of green tomatoes from friends. These are the recipes that I have acquired over the years. I have listed them in order of frequency of my use.

Green Tomatoes with Goat Cheese

4 medium green tomatoes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves
1 cup crumbled goat cheese (feta or chevre)
4 teaspoons olive oil
salt and coarsely ground fresh ground black pepper

Cut tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices. Coat a shallow baking dish with oil. Place tomato slices, in a single, overlapping layer, in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle tomatoes with vinegar and scatter minced oregano over tomatoes. Top with crumbled goat cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Broil 5-8 inches below a preheated broiler and broil until tomatoes are hot and cheese is just starting to brown, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4.

Green Tomato Pie

6 medium green tomatoes (about 1 3/4 lbs.)
1 Cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Pastry for a 2 crust pie (follow link for recipe) additional sugar for topping
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 20-30 seconds. Remove from water, core and peel. Cut prepared tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
In a large saucepan, combine sliced tomatoes with 1/4 C water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove tomatoes from liquid with a slotted spoon, reserving boiling liquid. Combine flour, 1 C sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and lemon zest. Add flour mixture to liquid. Cook, stirring constantly just until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Gently stir in prepared green tomato slices. Cool slightly 10-15 minutes, and spoon into the unbaked piecrust. Top with top pastry crust, crimp and seal edges. Cut venting slits in tops crust and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serves 6-8

Green Tomato Soup With Country Ham

2 tablespoons butter
4 to 6 ounces country ham or smoked ham, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
8 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 medium red tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
dash Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add ham, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring, until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, and minced jalapeno pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Working in batches, pulse in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and add celery salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired. Serves 4 to 6.

Chilled Curried Green Tomato Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 minced garlic cloves
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
4 large green tomatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2lbs.)
2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
additional fresh mint for garnish

Heat oil over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. Add garlic, onion and curry powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft but not browned, about five minutes. Add tomatoes, potato, stock, cilantro, mint, and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return to saucepan and stir in cream. Let cool and season to taste with salt, pepper and additional sugar if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving. Garnish with mint and/or cilantro leaves if desired. Serve cold.

Green Tomato Cake

2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
coconut (I’m not a fan of coconut most times and I have never used it while making this recipe.)

Preheat oven to 350°. In mixing bowl, beat sugar, vegetable oil or shortening, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Blend well. Stir in pecans, raisins and tomatoes. Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Top with coconut if desired. Bake for one hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 12.

Dilly Green Tomatoes

3-1/2 pounds small, firm, green tomatoes (or larger ones, quartered)
1 clove garlic
1 hot red pepper
1 branch celery
1 fresh head of dill or 2 tablespoons dill seed
2 quarts water
1 quart vinegar
1/2 cup granulated pickling salt

Wash about 3-1/2 pounds small, firm, green tomatoes (or larger ones, quartered). Drain and pack into quart jars. To each quart, add garlic, hot red pepper, celery and dill.
Combine water, vinegar and pickling salt. This will be your brine.
Bring to boiling; fill jar within 1/2 inch of the top. Seal lids. Note: You may want to process in hot water bath for 5 minutes, but not necessary. Makes about 4 quarts.

Oven Fried Green Tomatoes

4 to 6 green tomatoes cut in 1/4-inch thick slices
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper on both sides. In a shallow bowl mix beaten eggs, milk, and water. Put the all-purpose flour in a shallow bowl. Dip each slice into egg mixture, then into flour.
Arrange tomatoes in large, shallow, greased baking pans, or bake in 1 pan, in batches. Tomatoes should not touch. Bake uncovered in 400° oven 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
For crunchier coating, dip slices the second time into egg mixture then into seasoned breadcrumbs or corn flake crumbs, with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Baked Green Tomatoes

4 large firm green tomatoes
salt and pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coarse buttery cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons butter

Cut green tomatoes in 1/2 inch slices; arrange green tomato slices in a greased baking dish. Season sliced green tomatoes with salt and pepper and spread each with about 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar. Cover sliced green tomatoes with crumbs and dot with butter.
Bake at 350° until green tomatoes are tender but still firm, or about 25 to 35 minutes. Serves 6.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:28 am

Gayle,

WOW, thanks! They look wonderful: now I may need to go get some more green tomatoes to be able to try them.

I happen to have all the ingredients for the first one on hand, so my plan is to make it tonight!

Thanks again,
Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am

Green Tomatoes with Goat Cheese is my current favorite green tomato recipe. It is also the newest recipe in my collection. (I don't think goat cheese was available in Danville in the late 1970's!) In late June, when there was a discussion about the tomato pie at the Highland Farmer's Market, I tried making the Green Tomato Pie with ripe tomatoes - no good that way, but with firm, slightly tart green tomatoes - very tasty. Green Tomato Soup With Country Ham is a fall favorite. I haven’t made the Green tomato cake for a long time, but in my gardening days back in Danville, it was a contender along with New England Blueberry Pie and Chocolate Zucchini Cake for my most frequently made dessert.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Gayle,

I was going to make the Green Tomatoes with Goat Cheese, but substituting Valbreso french feta( which I have plenty of). Have you tried it that way by any chance?

Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:48 pm

No, I haven't, Deb, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I often substitute feta for goat cheese.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Gayle,

The Green Tomatoes with Goat Cheese were great and my 13 year old went back for seconds (and thirds).

THanks for the recipes,
Deb