Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Tasso, anyone?

no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

Tasso, anyone?

by Mark H. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:47 pm

I have never had tasso before and was wondering if anyone around town has made it or used it in recipes. Smoking meats has long been a hobby of mine and anything involving pork, smoke and fiery spices is intriguing. Here is a link to a site with some info and a picture. Homemade tasso
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:14 pm

I've used it to good effect in gumbo and jambalaya and sometimes I throw it into mac& cheese.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Tasso, anyone?

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Mark H. wrote:I have never had tasso before and was wondering if anyone around town has made it or used it in recipes. Smoking meats has long been a hobby of mine and anything involving pork, smoke and fiery spices is intriguing. Here is a link to a site with some info and a picture. Homemade tasso

I've used it in some Paul Prudhomme recipes, Mark, and I got mine packed in shrink wrap in the cooler box just upstream from the checkout at Lotsa Pasta.

Frankly, although any true Cajun would shoot me for saying this, I think you could substitute smoked ham and then just shoot a little extra Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce into the recipe.

But if you want to try real tasso ham, Lotsa Pasta should have it, or at least they used to.
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Mike Best's Meat Shop has it. It is located on Brownsboro Road at the Watterson. In front of the little strip shopping center with the great hardware store and a great liquor store. The NW corner of that intersection.
They also have great andouille and boudin along with other suasage.
Nancy Inman