Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Carnitas?

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Carnitas?

by Kris Billiter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:02 am

I live in Shelbyville, and this weekend we ate at La Fiesta Mexicana in "downtown". I believe this is owned by the same people who run the La Fiesta on Bardstown Rd. Anyway, I wanted to try something other than the usual stuff so I ordered the carnitas. It was excellent! This pork dish was extremely tender and very flavorful. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how it is prepared. Thanks for any help!

Kris
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am

Kris,

Haven't tried them at those restaurants, but traditional carnitas are long- cooked inexpensive (pork ) roast - that is then shredded.

I found this recipe from Bon Appetit. I haven't tried it but Brian and I have had very good luck with highly rated recipes on the epicurious.com site, particularly if you read the reviewer comments and adjust to your tastes.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/5414

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Carnitas?

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:36 am

Kris Billiter wrote:I live in Shelbyville, and this weekend we ate at La Fiesta Mexicana in "downtown". I believe this is owned by the same people who run the La Fiesta on Bardstown Rd. Anyway, I wanted to try something other than the usual stuff so I ordered the carnitas. It was excellent! This pork dish was extremely tender and very flavorful. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how it is prepared. Thanks for any help!

Kris, carnitas is delicious, and it's a cardiologist's nightmare. ;)

To summarize the procedure, a braising cut of pork (shoulder, for instance) is cut up and simmered very slowly in liquid (traditionally in melted lard) and aromatic, not fiery, spices (bay leaf is common) until it's very tender. Then the heat is raised until the liquid cooks off and the meat browns in its own fat so you get lots of crunchy bits around the edges.

Basically, first braised, then fried.

It's possible to get a pretty good, healthier rendition by using broth or water rather than lard as the braising liquid, then draining most of the liquid, spreading the meat on an oven pan and roasting it until it browns in its own fat, but it's hardly a low-calorie meal even with these compromises.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:57 am

Hmmm. Part of me says that sounds awful and that I shouldn't even consider eating something that is cooked in such an unhealthy way. Thankfully that is a very small part of me, and the rest of me can't wait to try it!
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:34 pm

I enjoyed the carnitas at the now defunct El Pariso on Preston. It was my understanding that after the pork chunks were simmered, they were then deep-fried. Very tasty, but obviously not on the "heart healthy" side of the menu.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 pm

i have yet to have carnitas that wasn't completely dried out - now I wonder how that happens given the cooking procedure. Hmm ... may have to try this at home and see what happens.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:13 pm

TP Lowe wrote:i have yet to have carnitas that wasn't completely dried out - now I wonder how that happens given the cooking procedure. Hmm ... may have to try this at home and see what happens.

I understand this far from you, but the carnitas at Los Aztecs in J-town are fine and not dried out.

Closer to you is Marimba, I have had good luck with them. However it has been a couple of years.

Done right it is a great dish .... done wrong it is nasty.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

I can feel my arteries clogging....

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:20 pm

To Robin's point about it being a cardiologist's nightmare: here''s another recipe for carnitas. The truly scary thing to me is that it calls for 2 LBS of Lard for 2 1/2 lbs of pork butt & it's Simmered in the lard, not quick fried, giving it lots of time to absorp...Yikes!

Carnita Tacos c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved

2 pounds lard
2 1/2 pounds pork butt, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Chile de Arbol Salsa, recipe follows
Corn Tortillas, recipe follows
Salsa Fresca, recipe follows

Melt the lard in a large deep saucepan over moderate heat. Add the pork, salt and pepper, and simmer until tender, being careful not to crisp the meat, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove the pork with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. (Reserve the lard for future use.) When cool enough to handle, shred the meat by hand or with the tines of a fork. Remove and discard any remaining fat. Transfer to a medium saucepan, add the Arbol Salsa and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, 5 to 8 minutes. Carnitas can be kept in the refrigerator up to 5 days and reheated before assembling the tacos.
For Carnitas tacos, dip 24 small corn tortillas in water, shaking off excess. Toast one at a time in a nonstick pan over moderate heat about 1 minute per side. Wrap in a towel to keep warm. For each taco, stack 2 tortillas and layer with warm carnitas, Salsa Fresca, chopped cilantro and avocado slices or simply chopped onion and cilantro.