Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Cold Sesame Noodles

no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

Cold Sesame Noodles

by Mark H. » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 pm

There was a post on the restaurant forum recently asking for recomendations for restaurants serving Cold Sesame Noodles. I have always enjoyed the dish from the Double Dragon on Goss, but sometimes they seem to be not as fresh as I prefer. With a few basic Asian ingredients, I found I can make a wonderful batch at home for less than a buck.
Try starting with this recipe. I have found the the Asian chili-garlic sauce instead of the chili oil works great and you can easily adjust the heat factor. If you don't have tahini, just use all peanut butter. Spagetti or vermicelli works as well as the Chinese noodles. Very refreshing in this summer heat.

Cold Sesame Noodle Recipe
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:21 am

Hey Mark,

Thanks for posting the recipe! I think I might make it next week.
How do the leftovers hold?

Deb
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Noodles on Sale

by TanyaD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:37 am

For anyone planning to try this, Aldi has either mie or vermicelli noodles on sale this week for $.99.
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:04 am

Glad to post the link, Deb. The noodles last for 2 or 3 days before the green onions start to look bad. I usually make half a batch and use it for snacks. The chili-garlic sauce really makes the dish, in my opinion.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Mark,

Any particular brand of Asian chili-garlic sauce? (particularly since you think it makes the dish...)

Deb
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:10 am

Are these sesame noodles skinny like spaghetti or are they flat like eg noodles? I have seen fried noodles like made of wanton wraps and
chao mein noodles. What do the Sesame noodles look like?

:?:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for asking, Deb. I use a brand called "Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam". It says on the label, (in English) "Chili Garlic Sauce" and there is a rooster on the label.
I get all my Asian ingredients at the Oriental Super Market near the corner of Preston and Gilmore. The same plaza as Koreana II. They have a decent selection of fresh Asian produce, including BIG bunches of scallions, 3 for $1. When they have bean sprouts, they are fresh and dirt cheap. They also carry jars of sesame paste. I am not sure of the difference between that and tahini, but it seems to work well in this dish. If you are in this area, one block out Preston, next to La Luna Rotisserie, there is a Mexican market with an interesting meat shop and they usually have fresh lime 10 for $1.
As far as the noodles themselves, I use regular thin spaghetti or vermecelli. Double Dragon and most of the Chinese carry-outs seem to do the same.