Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Italian plum Tomatoes

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Italian plum Tomatoes

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:09 pm

For anyone with a Costco membership ( or contemplating one), I found a fantastic deal on some very large cans of San Marzano tomatoes yesterday. I go thru ALOT of these tomatoes over the winter /spring for cooking when I can't get fresh. I'm used to paying ~$2.89 for a 29 oz can of the real thing- Costco has 6+ lb cans for $3.96! ( that's three regular cans). I made Ragu Bolognese yesterday and thought the quality was very good. I'm stocking up!

Deb
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: Italian plum Tomatoes

by AmyBK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:51 am

Deb, is "Nina" the brand you found? I just love them and such a deal.

I throw 2 of the Nina cans in my crockpot, with garlic, onions, herbs, pinch of sugar, little balsamic, and crank it to high, uncovered, and let it go overnight. It reduces a bit and makes a great simple sauce that I didn't have to stir for hours on end. Cool it down and then run an immersion blender through it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Amy,
That's them. Great idea for the sauce- any idea on the quantities to add for garlic, etc? I 'm going to try that one and ageneral starting point would be good. Do you cut up the tomatoes, or do they just fall apart with long cooking?
Thanks,
deb
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

by AmyBK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:54 pm

I used 2 cans of Ninas which has my crockpot filled to the brim. I put in 3 TBS of olive oil in the bottom of the crock and cranked it to high, threw in the onions and garlic. Probably an entire head of garlic and 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped. I like garlic a lot so feel free to moderate. I used 2 TBS each of oregano, thyme and 1 Tsp salt, lots of cracked pepper, handful of dried red pepper flakes, healthy pinch of sugar and probably 3 TBS of balsamic vinegar.

I add the tomatoes whole straight from the can, with all the sauce. They will break down quite a bit during cooking and when it cools off, a quick whoosh of the immersion blender makes a great texture.

I gave everything a stir, left the lid off, starting it at 6pm last night. I stirred it once or twice before I went to bed and then let it go until 7am this morning. The top looks a little dried but a quick stir and it incorporated nicely. The house smelled terrific!

It makes a nice, simple sauce that isn't too spicy for my picky, picky 9 year old and it easily steps up when I'm making dishes that the husband and teenage son like. I hope it turns out well for you.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:43 am

Two thumbs way up for this technique, Deb. Amy sent this to me earlier this year and I've been rocking it ever since. You will love this sauce!
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm

why didnt i ever think of making my sauce in the crock pot?! what a great idea. It is usually hard for me to work on something that is on the stove for hours, more than likely i will have to pick up/drop off/ fly a plane for some child at some point in my day..... but this i will try.

i was just telling myself that i had to make another batch, i finished up all the sauce i had in my freezer.

i was going to make some of my green salsa, and i am wondering if this will also work in the crockpot. i dont know if i am willing to risk all of my ingredients. hhmmmm..........
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Amy,
Thanks so much for the sauce recipe!! Ed was right; we love it! I made a half batch last night (your crockpot must be huge :D ). Start at 6:00 on high; too chicken to leave it on high all night so turned down to low at 11:00pm and let it cook all night and the whole next day. I upped the garlic and onion at lunchtime to our tastes, but other than that it was totally hands-off. That is one super-tasty sauce!
Thanks again for the suggestion- we love this recipe!
Deb
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

by AmyBK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Deb - I'm so glad it worked out well for you. And you're right - my crockpot is huge! I don't recall where I stumbled on this idea - I can't take credit for coming up with the idea. I read way too many food magazines and blogs but it sure makes sense and saves a ton of time.
Becky - not sure how it would do with salsa. But if you have a recipe that needs to cook and reduce down some of the liquid to concentrate the flavors, I'd give it a whirl. Your pictures of your dinner in the "What's Cooking" thread have had my stomach growling all day!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Deb Hall wrote: 6+ lb cans

AmyBK wrote: I used 2 cans of Ninas

Wait, two 6+ pound cans = 12 pounds of tomatoes? Wow. Deb said it:
Deb Hall wrote: your crockpot must be huge :D

How freakin big is your crockpot? Sounds like a nice technique though.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:12 pm

AmyBK wrote:Becky - not sure how it would do with salsa. But if you have a recipe that needs to cook and reduce down some of the liquid to concentrate the flavors, I'd give it a whirl. Your pictures of your dinner in the "What's Cooking" thread have had my stomach growling all day!

Actually, i do not cook my salsa very long. I have a huge 7 qt pot that i fill with onion, a bunch of different peppers, and tomatillos; In that order, and i add the tomatillos last because they cook rather quickly. But, i do have to add some water for the consistency that i like. I am thinking that i could try this in the crock pot with a lot less water and the flavors would really come together. Unfortunately, i already made a lot of salsa, but my next whirl i think i am trying it in the crock pot.

Sorry for the tease on the dinner :wink: :wink: :wink: . Honestly, it really was delicious. As i was cooking the fajitas i would place the large pieces in a warm oven, when they were all done i sliced them up, then put them back in while i finished the rest of the dinner. I think those times in the 300 oven helped, because they were so tender.........oh man i just might make that again this weekend.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:How freakin big is your crockpot? Sounds like a nice technique though.

I have been thinking the same thing Brad. that is a lot of tomatoes for a crock pot. I have a large one as well and wanted to ask how big hers was, but for some reason i felt it was inappropriate. i felt i would be asking a bra size of something.......... (me=weirdo)
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

by AmyBK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:19 pm

You all crack me up - it's fine to ask. It is the same size as Becky's, a 7 quart. 2 cans definitely fills it to the brim. 1 can only filled the crock half way and I thought "What the heck" and squeezed the 2d can in, with no adverse results.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:20 pm

AmyBK wrote:I used 2 cans of Ninas which has my crockpot filled to the brim. I put in 3 TBS of olive oil in the bottom of the crock and cranked it to high, threw in the onions and garlic. Probably an entire head of garlic and 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped. I like garlic a lot so feel free to moderate. I used 2 TBS each of oregano, thyme and 1 Tsp salt, lots of cracked pepper, handful of dried red pepper flakes, healthy pinch of sugar and probably 3 TBS of balsamic vinegar.

I add the tomatoes whole straight from the can, with all the sauce. They will break down quite a bit during cooking and when it cools off, a quick whoosh of the immersion blender makes a great texture.

I gave everything a stir, left the lid off, starting it at 6pm last night. I stirred it once or twice before I went to bed and then let it go until 7am this morning. The top looks a little dried but a quick stir and it incorporated nicely. The house smelled terrific!

Making this again for Xmas Eve pasta buffet dinner with family- we really like this sauce! (just wish I had Amy's gynormous crockpot to make a full batch... :wink: ) Thanks, Amy!
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

by AmyBK » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Merry Christmas, Deb - I'm so glad this recipe has become a favorite. You are welcome to borrow the behemoth crock anytime. Because its so big, it doesn't get used a whole lot. And I think I'm in close proximity to you; I can see the glow of the Summit.

Tonight, its hot brown casserole for the family; but I'm really living for Dad's annual Christmas cardiac killer sausage gravy and biscuits tomorrow morning for brunch! I think I enjoy the food aspects of the holiday way more than the presents, unless of course, the presents are food.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Must be Christmas- I'm making this again tonight for easy Xmas eve pasta dinner. :D

Merry Christmas, All!