Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Penne with Marinated Tomatoes

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Folks,

Since a lot of us are heading to the Farmer's Market (or our gardens) tommorrow, I wanted to share this recipe. Quick, very attractive and tasty way to use those beautiful heirloom tomatoes. Great on a hot day- only to be made with the very best in-season tomatoes. I've made it for years and adapted it; don't know the original source.

Roasted (or Sundried Tomatoes) add an extra depth of flavor to the sauce.

2 large farmer's market tomatoes,
(I recommend one yellow or orange, and one red- makes a very attractive dish)

4 oil-packed roasted tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes.(I use Divina Roasted tomatoes- if using these, use 8 as they are small)

1 clove fresh garlic- minced

approx. 1/4 good extra virgin oil

1/2 lb good quality penne or penne rigate (tube pasta)

Sea salt & freshly ground pepper

1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
Basil leaves for garnish

Coarsely chop 2 tomatoes and put in a colander to drain for 15- 20 minutes. (this eliminates the need to seed them) Drain roasted tomatoes, reserving oil and coarsely chop. Add olive oil to the drained oil to make 1/4 cup total. Combine fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, oils, sea salt & pepper to taste in a large bowl. Marinate at room temperature for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Boil pasta in salted water until al dente (11-13 minutes). Drain well, and while still hot, toss with tomato mixture.

Coarsely chop basil and combine with pasta. Adjust seasonings. Turn into a low pasta bowl and garnish with basil sprig/leaves. Serve immediately or at room temperature. (I prefer room temp).

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Penne with Marinated Tomatoes

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Penne with Marinated Tomatoes

Great recipe, Deb, and thanks for posting! We make a simpler Italian version here every summer - very similar but without the sun-dried tomatoes, just fresh, juicy tomatoes cut up and tossed with very finely minced garlic, basil chiffonade, excellent olive oil and S&P, over either penne or long pasta. The Italian name is "<i>salsa cruda</i>" ("raw sauce"), as I recall.

I'm playing around in my mind with the idea of adding the sun-dried tomatoes and oil, and can argue it both ways. It would certainly intensify the tomato flavor, always a good thing. But on the other hand, one of the great joys of <i>salsa cruda</i> is that it celebrates fresh, fresh, fresh tomatoes and basil, and I almost hate to tinker with that.

Might have to try it both ways ...
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm

Robin,

Try it with the the roasted tomatoes, it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the recipe. (no wait, that's french, not Italian...)

I also love Salsa cruda and its close cousin bruschetta topping. But the roasted tomatoes in this one have a smoky depth of flavor that is a great counter-point to the bright acidy (is that a word?) of the heirloom tomatoes. Big thing is (as always in a simple recipe) to use the best ingredients you can find- I use Napastyle Gray salt for my sea salt and really high quality roasted/sundried tomatoes, and some of my best green olive oil.

It's also really pretty and keeps for hours for buffet service- what more can you ask?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Deb Hall wrote: to the bright acidy (is that a word?)

"acidity," I'm guessing, is what you were looking for, Deb.

I've tried (from Cook's Test Kitchen) a couple of times using roasted tomatoes (and other vegetables) in salsa, but for some reason I can't buy into the taste. What do you think, Deb? Roasted for salsa?
Last edited by TP Lowe on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:48 pm

TP,

I'm with you: I wouldn't want roasted tomatoes in my salsa. If I'm going to make salsa, it'll be a fresh salsa with the emphasis on fresh tomatoes. I don't mess with cooked salsa there are too many good packaged ones out on the market for it to be worth it.

Deb
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:48 pm

The Cook's folks actually roaster all of the vegetables for their salsa, although their ultimate product was served over something hot (sorry, I can't recall the whole show), so maybe that is why they favored the roasting. Whatever I ended up with in my kitchen wasn't too good on a chip, though!