Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Deep Fryer advice needed

no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

Deep Fryer advice needed

by Michele Cull » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:25 pm

We host a yearly catfish fry for 30+ shape note singers every year. Right now, I use 3 tabletop fry daddy type fryers. Our numbers keep going up (this past year, I fried 40 lbs) and I seem to fry throughout the evening without visiting with everyone (unless they come outside). I would like to host a few more of these throughout the year. Any suggestions on a larger (economical) fryer so I can visit with my guests?

Many Thanks!
MissChele
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:49 pm

How about an electric turkey fryer? I have a gas one but never use it because it scares me half to death that somebody will get hurt if it were to tip over, etc. But the electric ones look a lot safer. Something to consider.

I see Target has them for $119 -- 28 quarts.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1184719280/ref=sr_1_1/601-9722687-0897730?ie=UTF8&asin=B000JPRAT0

Shop around; you can probably find a better price somewhere. I noticed this one has a drain valve at the bottom, which would be REALLY handy.

Lois
no avatar
User

Jayson L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 am

DownTown

by Jayson L » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:13 pm

Michele,
Do you have the ability to hook up to a gas line? If so, PM me, I'll make you the deal of the century.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Michele:
You should be able to find a "fish fryer" that uses a propane tank like you use on a gas grill at Lowe's or Home Depot. They run 50 to 60 dollars and can cook about 6 to 8 pounds at a time. They have a fry basket to lift out the fish after after it's done (unlike the Turkey fryer).

Good luck in your cooking!