Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Authentic Margarita Recipe

no avatar
User

Jennifer Kavanagh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 am

Authentic Margarita Recipe

by Jennifer Kavanagh » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:17 am

Does anyone have an authentic margarita recipe? I've always used the pre-made mixes, but I'm looking to branch out to the real deal. Thanks!!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Authentic Margarita Recipe

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:42 am

Jennifer Kavanagh wrote:Does anyone have an authentic margarita recipe? I've always used the pre-made mixes, but I'm looking to branch out to the real deal. Thanks!!!

Jennifer, I'm afraid I'm not much of a margarita fancier, although I'll bet some of the Latino restaurants around town make a fine one.

For what it's worth, though, this looks like a good shot at authenticity from the MexGrocer.com website:

<i>Let's kick off the holiday season with a medley of Margaritas. Here are several Margarita recipes to choose from. Try the real Authentic Mexican Margaritas-supposedly invented at Hussong's Cantina (that's a famous bar in Ensenada, founded in 1892) by bartender, Don Carlos Orozco, back in October, 1941. He concocted the drink of equal parts tequila, Damiana (Controy [a Mexican orange liqueur like Cointreau but sweeter] is used now) and lime, served it over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. He named it after a lady he wanted to impress, Señorita Margarita Henkel, daughter of the German Ambassador to Mexico. Not too many people know that, but at Hussongs, they swear it's the truth!</i>

Here's another similar but slightly different approach from a guy who sounds like he knows what he's talking about:

<i>Some idiot with too much time on his (her) hands has done a comprehensive survey and found that the 'Margarita' is now the most popular cocktail in the United States. Pretty amazing when you consider the fact that the vast majority of people have never even tasted a real Margarita. If you want the real deal all you have to remember is 3-2-1.

That's the proportion. 3 parts tequila, 2 parts orange liqueur (Triple sec), and one part fresh lime juice. At Felix' we make a 'mago' with an ounce and a half of tequila and an ounce of orange liqueur and a half ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice. That's a 3 1/2 ounce drink---so when you go to one of those trendy Mexican places and get a Margarita in a glass the size of your kid's wading pool you know for sure that your 'mago' has been diluted with a quart of something called 'Margarita mix' then blended with about a gallon of ice...you are then served a vaguely lime-tasting snow cone.</I>

Finally, just for those who really want a big, sweet, slushy frozen margarita the size of a birdbath, typical of those served in bars but not really authentic:

<i>Fill the blender halfway with ice.
1 can of frozen lime juice.
Fill the can with tequila and pour it in.
An extra splash of tequila for good luck.
A splash of Triple Sec.
Sugar to taste.</i>
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Pantry Margarita

by Beth K. » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:53 pm

I definitely would not consider this authentic, but it is super easy and very delicious. I guess you could call it 'simply delicioso'! (That was for the male food network fans. Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

1 part frozen lime juice

1 part tequila

1 part beer

1 part 7up, sprite, or (my new favorite) tonic water

Add some fresh lime juice if available.

Also, if you use the frozen lime juice container for the “1 part” you can just use a whole beer without measuring.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:46 pm

never heard of a beer in a margarita, yuck!

I used to be a bartender and think I make a mean margarita and so does anyone else that has tried mine.

2-3 oz good tequila (to taste)
1 oz triple sec or high dollar stuff if you can afford it
2-3 oz of sweet and sour mix to taste
wedge of fresh lime
salt for rim

Ok, here's the trick. This is for on the rocks, I don't drink them any other way.

Get a bar shaker, plastic or metal from your local liquor store. Fill with ice, add all ingredients and SHAKE VERY well.

Pour into margarita glass with salted rim and SQUEEZE and drop the fresh lime into the drink.

If you follow the above the drink will be very smooth and will not have a strong taste.

Yummy.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 am

That's the ticket Brian. I do the rocks thing as well.

But if she wants a good frozen do the recipe above and add more tequila. and the juice of one lime, SAVE: the rinds of the lime.

Freeze: your glasses first. 2 hours before minimum. Do 4-6 for two.

Ice: glass and a half per drink, put ice in a food processor. Wet the: rim with rosa's lime juice. (Old paper towel trick)

Salt: the rim with sea salt, coarse or some such.
(use the old plate trick).

pour in 6-8 ounces of the aforementioned margarita drink in the Food processor and spin the blade at a blinding rate of speed(On stomp).

Dip out the slush into your glasses
Garnish with Lime Zest the green part only.

Serves 2 and get better as you go. Don't forget to eat.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present "the yard clippings".

8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Jennifer Kavanagh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 am

by Jennifer Kavanagh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:00 am

Thanks for the recipes everyone...I can't wait for the weekend!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Great Margaritas!

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:30 am

Brian,

I made Mexican last night and decided to use your margarita on the rocks recipe to accompany my dinner. Wow were they good!!!!!!! (but dangerous, they go down really easy...) I've never been a margarita on the rocks person, but this may be my new drink. Thanks!

Question:

We made ours last night with Cuervo gold and triple sec 'cause we had both. When you said
1 oz triple sec or high dollar stuff if you can afford it
, what do you define as the high dollar stuff? Grand Marnier? or something else? I almost always have Grand Marnier in the cupboard since I use it for cooking, on berries, etc, but I wasn't sure if that was the right liquor.

Thanks for a great evening!
:D
Deb
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Yes, that's correct, Grand Marnier or Cointreau either one.

Yes, they are pretty lethal, really smooth and pretty strong!

Glad to have helped, you can really impress margarita lovers with that recipe.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

Here is a different route.

by BDKollker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:16 am

This is as fresh as a margarita that you can get. Plus by using the agava nectar you are using the same sugars that are used to make the tequila. And its just delicious.

2.5 oz Top Shelf Tequila
1 ea wedge if Orange
1 oz Agava Nectar Simple syrup or honey simple syrup
.5 oz Triple Sec or Grand Ma
2 oz fresh made sweet and sour

Muddle simple syrup with orange wedge, Add in rest of ingredients. Shake well with ice. Strain into salt rimmed, ice filled glass.

Simple syrup.......

I like a ratio of 2 or 3 to 1, depending on the sugar. Using regular "white sugar" is ok but when you look for different sugars you can tailor them to the drink. Using things like maple syrup, cane juice sugar, or raw sugar gives you different "earthy options". Things that dont give you that rush of sugar taste but are more of an accent to the drink.

Fresh made sweet and sour........

1 Lemon
1 Lime
3 oz Cane juice simple syrup or honey simple syrup
6 oz Water

squeeze in lemon and lime. muddle with simple syrup. add in water and let sit for an hour. Adjust for your taste.

If your using store bought sweet and sour mix you might as well just use the margarita mix that they have. But to get a really really fresh and flavorfull drink try making your own sweet and sour mix. It will keep for months if you take out the citrus. Otherwise it can get really sour and bitter.
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks Blake, when I have a few hours I'll give that recipe a try :lol:
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:36 pm

A friend of mine stirs a bunch of lime zest into the tequila and lets it sit overnight. Those were some really fabulous margaritas.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:32 am

C. Devlin wrote:A friend of mine stirs a bunch of lime zest into the tequila and lets it sit overnight. Those were some really fabulous margaritas.

The "yard clippings" was a routine margarita served after the front yard was finished. Most days ran out of daylight to soon and the back had to be finished the next day...........ah yes, the "yard clippings".

8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !