Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

First Harvest

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

First Harvest

by TP Lowe » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Fresh carrots and lettuce from the garden tonight! They'll pair well with some stunningly nice looking salmon I picked up at Whole Foods today. Also harvested some jalapeños, and have some interesting but unidentifiable peppers still sprouting. Those nasty tomato worms stripped four plants, but I'm counting on the other four that we saved to come through at some point.

Geez, I love this time of year!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

lettuce

by Deb Hall » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:56 pm

TP,

What kind of lettuce are you planting that has survived this heat? Mine all bolted weeks ago. I'd love a suggestion for another cultivar I could be growing that wouldn't give up on me so early in the season....

Thanks,
Deb
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:09 pm

Deb,

We grew some simple green leaf from seed this year. We watered the daylights out of it ... it was subject to full sun nearly all day. We'll try some more this fall, too.

TP

(by the way - I spoke to your sister's group of entrepreneurs a few months ago!)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:43 pm

Tp,

I'm really surprised the heat didn't make them bolt- regardless of how much you watered them. Even the (real) farmers markets don't seem to have lettuce anymore, it's just too hot.

You must have the touch... :wink:

Deb
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:51 pm

I will admit that there was a bit more bitter flavor than we would have liked - perhaps attributable to the heat?

The real challenge this year has been the tomato worms. Not only have they stripped several tomato plants, but they moved on to several of our younger, tender trees. We've tried to minimize the Sevin usage to protect the bees, but the d*%# worms have been voracious.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:26 am

We were spared the horn worms this year. Last year they decimated our bell peppers and our tomato plants. This year, not a sign of them.

Does anybody have any recommendations for getting rid of the Japanese beetles? They've been having a field day with my basil.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:35 am

I had blossom end rot to start with but when it began to get Hot I made some
pretty good tomatoes for four plants. Have made one green and one red pepper.

Of the four yellow squash plants nothing but blooms. The squash would be hard as a rock at 4 inches. So I began to do the blooms in a tempuri batter.

Different but wonderful, fried with embryonic squash in tow. The blooms are still coming. If I could get some up there I would send them If anyone has any idea how to send them I will.

8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Squash Sex

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:00 pm

James Paul,

I had what I thought was a similiar problem with my zucchini and yellow squash. Did a little research (and talking to the folks at Plant Kingdom: a great knowledgable garden center) and a possible problem is this year's lack of bees. A lot of plants are having problems getting pollinated 'cause at least here, there are VERY few bees to do the work.

You might want to try your hand at hand pollination. You can either remove the male flower and rub its part's against the female flower parts (Female flowers are the one's that has a very small squash at the end of them) or you can use a paint brush to take pollen from one flower and put it into another.

Gee, and I thought I was the only gardener in existance who had a problem growing zucchini: usually the problem its getting rid of them!

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Japanese Beetles

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:48 pm

C.

I've used the baited japanese beetle traps for years. You can buy either plastic, permanent ones where you replace the lure every year, or disposable bags. They work very well: actually appalling if you use the plastic ones to see how many you've caught. No harm to other bugs, etc (they use a sex lure so I guess only other japanese beetles like it)

But a word of warning: make sure you hang the bags at a far end of your yard away from the plants they usually eat. These things work so well that if you put them near your basil, it may actually draw other beetles - from your neighbor's yards! So make sure to place them away from your precious plants like roses .

PS. I'm really surprised they are going for your basil. I've always had jap beetles, but never seen them go any where near my basil (right now they like my roses and bean plants most.

Deb
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:44 am

Deb,

I thought about the bee's but I have seen them here but not many.
I did the pollination with a q-tip nothing but more blooms.

My plants didn't get a foot tall. Had rain, food and sun. Blooms aplenty.

:roll:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !