Okay, Mary and I went over to Red Pepper today, had a GREAT lunch (the pan-fried tofu and a daily special of baby bok choy stir-fried with a LOT of garlic), and talked to Yuan Hua, the hostess.
She's got us all set up for an authentic Chinese banquet on Friday, Nov. 7. To avoid problems with the Friday crowd, she suggests we gather between 7:30 and 8, enjoy drinks in the bar, then settle down to our seats in the private room at 8 p.m.
Here are the specifics:
* Chef Huang will create a multi-course, authentic banquet involving numerous courses including lobster. He'll go out of his way to make it an exciting authentic Sichuan banquet with special ingredients and plate decoration.
* Price per person will be $30, exclusive of tax, tip and alcoholic beverges (they have beer and wine, no liquor).
* Time and place as above: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 7, but it's okay to come in early and hang out in the bar or the party room.
* We need to get at least 18 people together to use the party room, and we'll have to cap attendance at 24.
* We need firm commitments by Tuesday, Nov. 2 (Election Day!) so we can confirm the number and give them time to do all the preparations.
Later today or tomorrow, I'll post this as a sticky in all sections if we need help in drumming up a crowd.