Want to organize a get-together with forum pals at a local eatery or pub? Plan it here!
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Louisville Hotbytes Forum BBQ & Book Drive

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:59 am

Marsha L. wrote:Does anyone know if they have grills there? Or: Anyone want to bring their turkey fryer for deep-fried stuff? I' might make hushpuppies if you do....

I can put together a "turkey" fryer burner for you. You'd have to bring the pot and oil though.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 am

Marsha L. wrote:Anyone want to bring their turkey fryer for deep-fried stuff? I' might make hushpuppies if you do....

I could bring my deepfryer but it's not a turkey-sized one. Are there outlets to plug things in? I wasn't sure if there's a gazebo or something like that. I haven't decided what I'm bringing. Knowing me, it'll probably have lots of cheese.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:59 am

I read through all the posts, but must have missed it. Which date was selected?
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:14 am

July 19th at 1pm
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Louisville Hotbytes Forum BBQ & Book Drive July 19th @ 1PM

by Rebecca Clark » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:38 pm

The Miss Kentucky Pageant is that weekend ... if I don't stay in Lexington, I will definitely try to be there. Either way, I'll send books; probably something to do with cats! I'm somewhat intimidated by the attendees as to what I will bring .....

:)
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:57 pm

That'll teach me to drink cocktails while I post! Lord, it's probably going to be hot as you-know-what. Let's skip the deep frying until a fall event. If everyone's okay with that, I'll make the deviled eggs and something delightful on the grill. Prosciutto-wrapped asparagus? Ooooooh, wait - bourbon grilled corn on the cob?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Marsha L. wrote:That'll teach me to drink cocktails while I post! Lord, it's probably going to be hot as you-know-what. Let's skip the deep frying until a fall event. If everyone's okay with that, I'll make the deviled eggs and something delightful on the grill. Prosciutto-wrapped asparagus? Ooooooh, wait - bourbon grilled corn on the cob?

A fryer would be hot. I have plenty of bourbon barrel staves for smoking. How about you whip up some Bourbon Barrel Stout ice cream to go with my cake. Or you could do the Mexican roast corn treat elotes; grilled corn on the cob, lightly coated with mayo, dusted with parmesan cheese and a squirt of hot red-chile sauce.

Ed, are you in charge of a head-count?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:31 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:That'll teach me to drink cocktails while I post! Lord, it's probably going to be hot as you-know-what. Let's skip the deep frying until a fall event. If everyone's okay with that, I'll make the deviled eggs and something delightful on the grill. Prosciutto-wrapped asparagus? Ooooooh, wait - bourbon grilled corn on the cob?

A fryer would be hot. I have plenty of bourbon barrel staves for smoking. How about you whip up some Bourbon Barrel Stout ice cream to go with my cake. Or you could do the Mexican roast corn treat elotes; grilled corn on the cob, lightly coated with mayo, dusted with parmesan cheese and a squirt of hot red-chile sauce.

Hmm. I'd love to make the ice cream for an inside event (and will), but I don't want to have to be in charge of trying to keep it frozen outside.

I need to look up elotes; I didn't realize that's what they are. (Need to visit the gordita trailer!)
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:56 pm

Marsha L. wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:

Hmm. I'd love to make the ice cream for an inside event (and will), but I don't want to have to be in charge of trying to keep it frozen outside.

I need to look up elotes; I didn't realize that's what they are. (Need to visit the gordita trailer!)

Couldn't the ice cream be iced down in a big cooler?
The Gordita Trailer uses canned corn and serves it in a big Styrofoam cup. It's good, but not as good as off the cob. I had the cob version served from the La Rosita booth @ Harvest Homecoming last October. Very good!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:55 pm

A really loose count of about 20 distinguished folk so far, David. I need to post on the big board to funnel some interest over here.
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:31 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:A really loose count of about 20 distinguished folk so far, David. I need to post on the big board to funnel some interest over here.

Dang Ed.....distinguished.. :oops:

Guess that why I luvs hangin' out here.

Haven't had the pleasure of Steak Chimichurri yet. Checked out a few recipes on the net and It sure sounds Great. :D

What a fine time......foodies, support education an' great food!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:49 pm

Rebecca Clark wrote:The Miss Kentucky Pageant is that weekend ... if I don't stay in Lexington, I will definitely try to be there. Either way, I'll send books; probably something to do with cats! I'm somewhat intimidated by the attendees as to what I will bring .....

:)

Rebecca- I've been to a few of these events now and I can assure you there is no need to feel the least bit intimidated. I know some of us sound opinionated or pretentious sometimes, but once we have food in our mouths we become real softies. Some, alas, like myself, softer than others.
Are you participating in the pagent? Good luck if so.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:13 am

I am looking all over the house and storage areas for books to bring. Do not know about what food, I may wait to see what is needed. Do not know if Richard can make it, his schedule is not cast this far in in advance.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 am

GaryF wrote:... Are you participating in the pageant? Good luck if so...

No, I aged out a couple of decades ago!!!!! :lol: However, one of my vocal students is competing, so it's the next best thing (albeit a bit more nerve wracking)!
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:59 am

Rebecca Clark wrote:
GaryF wrote:... Are you participating in the pageant? Good luck if so...

No, I aged out a couple of decades ago!!!!! :lol: However, one of my vocal students is competing, so it's the next best thing (albeit a bit more nerve wracking)!

Reminds me of when I was at university, one of my friends won Miss Kentucky by singing a medly of songs from disaster movies. Not surprisingly she didn't get far in the big show.
PreviousNext