Want to organize a get-together with forum pals at a local eatery or pub? Plan it here!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Louisville Hotbytes Forum BBQ & Book Drive

by Deb Hall » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:46 pm

David,

That cake was the BOMB! Really looking forward to another slice.

I need to pass on the Deconstructing Ferran Adria dvd to you (it was very cool , thanks Stephen!!!!!!!! ) Can you PM me with your hours at BBC so I can figure out when to drop it off?

hanks,
Deb
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Deb Hall wrote:David,

That cake was the BOMB! Really looking forward to another slice.

I need to pass on the Deconstructing Ferran Adria dvd to you (it was very cool , thanks Stephen!!!!!!!! ) Can you PM me with your hours at BBC so I can figure out when to drop it off?

hanks,
Deb

Thank you for the kind words! If we can't have beer we can eat cake!
I'm off work this week (can't say vacation as I'm pouring concrete counter tops and laying tile in my kitchen, much harder than brewing). If you'll be anywhere near Crescent Hill or St. Matt I could meet you.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:12 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Jessica Hardison wrote:Jessica, do you need art and general classroom supplies as well?

I actually visited my classroom on Thursday and there seemed to be a lot of construction paper, writing paper, and scissors. However, the former teacher is still working in the school and she may be planning on taking the supplies. I plan on doing lots of art projects with my students. The school is giving me a small budget to buy some things. I plan on using most of it for those little bags that hook to the back of their chairs since they'll have tables instead of desks.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:
Jessica Hardison wrote:The school is giving me a small budget to buy some things. I plan on using most of it for those little bags that hook to the back of their chairs since they'll have tables instead of desks.
[/quote]

Welcome to the world of Jefferson County public school teaching. My daughter is a school teacher (Maupin) and ex-wife retired from teaching. You will probably be spending some of your hard earned money buying some of this stuff or else you won't have it.

Good luck on your teaching. I hope you enjoy it. The daughter and ex wife enjoyed it. A lot of people beat their heads against the wall. Sometimes the wall wins.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 am

Steve Shade wrote:Welcome to the world of Jefferson County public school teaching. My daughter is a school teacher (Maupin) and ex-wife retired from teaching. You will probably be spending some of your hard earned money buying some of this stuff or else you won't have it.

Which is exactly why I asked. My Parents and Grand Parents all retired from teaching as did my MIL. Our daughter goes to a private school with a big budget and we still send a mountain of supplies to her class.

Save the apple for a pie, gift cards to the Parent/Teacher Store and Target are always a big hit with Teach.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:57 pm

I would love to attend, but getting out of the restaurant on a Saturday early is nearly impossible, however, I would love to donate some books for the cause. Just let me know how to get them to ya.....
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Scott Schamel wrote:I would love to attend, but getting out of the restaurant on a Saturday early is nearly impossible, however, I would love to donate some books for the cause. Just let me know how to get them to ya.....

I appreciate your donation. I would be happy to come and get the books from you. Otherwise, I live in Germantown and work in Old Louisville. Let me know what would be most convenient for you.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:No kids around here and no kids books, but we'll gladly buy a couple to pay our way in.

Robin, think back to what your favorite book was as a child and bring that (like my husband's was Mike Mulligan's Steam Shovel)! I can also PM you some suggestions of classics from a summer reading list I have for my kids if you like.

This sounds like fun... I'm assuming that our own younger foodies are welcome as well... am I correct?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:44 am

Gretchen D. wrote:I'm assuming that our own younger foodies are welcome as well... am I correct?

Everyone is welcome of course! :)
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:20 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Gretchen D. wrote:I'm assuming that our own younger foodies are welcome as well... am I correct?

Everyone is welcome of course! :)

I assumed the same. I'm going to attempt to bring the family.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:51 am

Yes, yes......bring 'em all! In fact we should change the header to: Louisville Hotbytes Forum Family BBQ & Book Drive!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:17 pm

I am going to ask off work for this - we wouldn't want to miss it. I'm going to try and get "Bartholomew and the Oobleck", a lesser-known Seuss, to donate, and maybe donate a couple of Edward Gorey things.

What should I make? Don't say dessert - David's got that covered. 8) My jalapeno-pimento deviled eggs are pretty special, though.

Does anyone know if they have grills there? Or: Anyone want to bring their turkey fryer for deep-fried stuff? I' might make hushpuppies if you do....
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I am going to ask off work for this - we wouldn't want to miss it. I'm going to try and get "Bartholomew and the Oobleck", a lesser-known Seuss, to donate, and maybe donate a couple of Edward Gorey things.

What should I make? Don't say dessert - David's got that covered. 8) My jalapeno-pimento deviled eggs are pretty special, though.

Does anyone know if they have grills there? Or: Anyone want to bring their turkey fryer for deep-fried stuff? I' might make hushpuppies if you do....

I wouldn't say I have it covered. My cake is a two layer 8" model, very dense, so small pieces. One can't have too much dessert. Those deviled eggs sound yummy!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Marsha L. wrote:What should I make? Don't say dessert - David's got that covered. 8) My jalapeno-pimento deviled eggs are pretty special, though.

I will bring my large grill, Marsha so you (or anybody) may use it. I will check and see if they have any of those state park type grills.

Deviled eggs are great but I have to say it: Dessert!
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:31 am

This sounds like fun! We sell at the LaGrange Farmers Market every Saturday but should be able to make it shortly after 1. I'll bring whatever doesn't sell for sharing - I'll have at least 12 varieties of cookies, fruit cobblers, muffins, bread, etc etc.
Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery & Dessert Cafe
211 South First Street
La Grange, KY 40031
502-265-0550
www.qasweettreats.com
PreviousNext