Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

IBM ThinkPad for sale ...

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

IBM ThinkPad for sale ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 am

It's almost like selling a child, but I'm looking for a good home for my previous travel computer, an IBM ThinkPad X31 ultraportable.

It's lightly used and not very old, and frankly I loved it, but I had to replace it before my Vinitaly trip in April because I needed a machine with the horsepower to do video production; while the X31's stats are decent for most uses, it was lacking in the bleeding-edge power and disk space departments.

That being said, it's a great computer, extremely solid and portable - it's one of the last of the made-in-the-USA ThinkPads made before IBM sold the ThinkPad line to the Chinese firm Lenovo.

It runs XP Pro, has 560megs RAM and a 20gig hard drive, and comes with the detachable docking base that will hold an outboard battery or DVD drive (included) as well as other swappable components like an outboard hard drive (not included).

It's tiny enough to open even in a coach seat, has a small (12-inch) but bright screen, and manages to pack a full-size keyboard into its 10 1/2x9-inch footprint. It's a slim 1-inch thick without the docking base, under 2 inches with it, and weighs under 2 pounds without the base, about 3 with it.

It's a great machine, always handled with care, and is literally like new.

It cost me a little over $2,500 new, but I'll look seriously at any offer around half that price. If interested, PM or send me E-mail at rgarr@louisvillehotbytes.com
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Based on a quick ebay search anywhere near half the original price is way too high. I understand these are the newer models, bigger hard drive, 1/2 the ram(which is easily upgraded). You'll be lucky to get $500 bucks or so based on this. You can get a brand new screaming laptop for $1250. Oh, you can sell it easily on ebay if you wanna go that route or if you wanna hold out for someone that is going to over pay don't go the ebay route.

IBM ThinkPad X31 2673-C2U PM 1.4GHz 256MB 40GB

3 MONTH WARRANTY! WIN XP PRO 802.11 WI-FI
This seller accepts PayPal Buy It Now or Best Offer $579.99
$39.99 46m

IBM ThinkPad X31 2672-CXU PM 1.4GHz 256MB 40GB

3 MONTH WARRANTY! WIN XP PRO 802.11 WI-FI
This seller accepts PayPal Buy It Now or Best Offer $599.99
$39.99
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:18 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Based on a quick ebay search anywhere near half the original price is way too high.

Erm, thanks, I think. ;)

Seriously, I just threw it out there. I have the screaming new Vaio now, with 2 gigs of RAM and 180 gigs of HD, and as much as I love the ThinkPad, it's just taking up space on my desk.

On the whole, I'd just as soon sell it to a forum buddy who needs a laptop, and to whom I can guarantee that this one is solid, has a track record, and works well; I like knowing that it's in good hands, and that I can pass it over in person without having to deal with shipping and costs.

So, restated, I'll consider a reasonable offer based on comparable prices for similar machines.

Howzat?
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:39 pm

I think that is reasonable, lol.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:34 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:Based on a quick ebay search anywhere near half the original price is way too high.

Erm, thanks, I think. ;)

Seriously, I just threw it out there. I have the screaming new Vaio now, with 2 gigs of RAM and 180 gigs of HD, and as much as I love the ThinkPad, it's just taking up space on my desk.

On the whole, I'd just as soon sell it to a forum buddy who needs a laptop, and to whom I can guarantee that this one is solid, has a track record, and works well; I like knowing that it's in good hands, and that I can pass it over in person without having to deal with shipping and costs.

So, restated, I'll consider a reasonable offer based on comparable prices for similar machines.

Howzat?

i just picked up a top end HP running a dual core athlon turion64 x2, with 2 gb ram, vista, etc etc....
and the thing brand new ran me barely over $1200. with a 17" widescreen, and hell... the keyboard has a 10-key too!

i'd say asking anything over $500 would be a huge, huge stretch.

a brand new laptop with similar features runs only around $750 these days online. (if that)

i willadd:
my roommate's in the market for a laptop, i'll have him take a look at the thread, and the specs etc...
not sure how powerful of a machine he's looking for.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:37 am

Ethan Ray wrote:a brand new laptop with similar features runs only around $750 these days online. (if that)

As I told Brian, I just threw it out there ... what do I know? But as I also told Brian, "So, restated, I'll consider a reasonable offer based on comparable prices for similar machines."

I'd just like to get more for the thing than throw it out in the orange recycling bucket. And again, it comes with a full set of accessories, is "lightly used," and is an exceptionally solid piece of equipment, a sturdy, well-made pre-Lenovo ThinkPad made in the US ... and comes with free delivery if anyone in the Louisville area buys it. ;)
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 am

Everybody overprices their used computer equipment because they base the price on what they paid . . . which is irrelevant. I saw someone who tried to sell a Handspring Visor that they'd never used based on the price they paid for the b/w PDA 5 years ago--they wanted $90 (they'd paid $200). Unfortunately you can buy a color Palm that is worlds better at everything for $75 now.

You just have to completely forget what you paid for something when it comes to selling used computer equipment.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:23 am

Charles W. wrote:Everybody overprices their used computer equipment because they base the price on what they paid . . . which is irrelevant. I saw someone who tried to sell a Handspring Visor that they'd never used based on the price they paid for the b/w PDA 5 years ago--they wanted $90 (they'd paid $200). Unfortunately you can buy a color Palm that is worlds better at everything for $75 now.

You just have to completely forget what you paid for something when it comes to selling used computer equipment.

Thanks, but let's not go down a tangent here. As I've been saying, okay, I threw a price out there without knowing anything. I'll gladly look at any reasonable offer based on comps. I'd rather get a few bucks for it, and sell it to a forum friend, than fool with eBay or throw it in the recycling bucket.

Now that I've stipulated this point again, can we move on? ;)