Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Clothes Donation Ideas

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Clothes Donation Ideas

by GaryF » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:43 pm

I have recently reduced by ten pant sizes and now have an entire wardrobe that I wish to donate to a useful cause.
I do have some criteria though. I am looking for an organization with a liberal social consciousness. I am a gay man and am loathe to give to Goodwill or Salvation Army or many church organizations where my clothes but not my person would be welcomed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:47 pm

From a previous post by JP Durbin (about rice bags), this may be just what you are looking for:

Center for Accessible Living
305 W. Broadway, Suite 200
Louisville, KY 40202
Voice: (502) 589-6620
TTY: (502) 589-6690
Fax:(502) 589-3980
Toll Free: (888) 813-8497
Louisville Info@calky.org

They provide clothing for clients for interviews.

Congrats on the weight loss!! :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 pm

House of Ruth is a charitable organization that raises money to help people living with HIV. I have given them donations in the past because of the amazing, selfless work that they do in our community. They may only accept monetary donations, but I would recommend calling them to see if they accept clothing.

http://www.houseofruth.net/
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:44 pm

You could also try Cedar Lake Lodge. It's a home for mentally/physically disabled adults out in LaGrange.

http://www.cedarlake.org
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:56 pm

While I'm not the biggest fan of Goodwill myself, I take our items there because they benefit The Center for Women and Families.

Take your items to any local Goodwill and ask for the donation form for The Center. Fill it out, and Center "clients will receive a Goodwill purchase voucher in the amount of the estimated donation value of your donation. These vouchers enable our residents and clients to experience shopping for themselves and their family, and ensures every resident and client--regardless of age, size or special needs--receives clothing that fits properly."

The form also serves as your receipt for tax purposes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

WOW, Twice

by Kim H » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:36 am

First - you lost 10 pant sizes????? That's INCREDIBLE!! Are you still here??? I don't konw how men's pant sizes work, but that is still an incredible achievement, and CONGRATULATIONS!

I also like that you