Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Does anyone own "The AeroGarden"?

by Lori R. » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:34 pm

If so, what has your experience with it been like? I just love having fresh herbs available for recipes, but am hesitant to purchase one until I get some feedback.

Thanks!

http://www.aerogrow.com/
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:28 am

I think it's a bit pricey, especially when mint, chives, and basil grow like weeds here once you plant them. Mine have gotten huge just in the last month. I say save your money and plant them outside in pots, or in a garden.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm

I agree with Michelle R. I wouldn't bother with the AeroGarden. Each spring, I head down to Bunton Seed Co. and pick up my herbs for the year. They are already started and are cheap (less than $2 ea) -- especially when you compare the cost to those little plastic containers of herbs from Kroger.

I've got basil, chives, shallots, rosemary, thyme, oregano, lemon grass, sage, cilantro, parsley and mint. They all grow like weeds (and I have to admit that I'm not the most regular waterer). My sage, rosemary, chives and mint have managed to survive most winters. The rest have to be replanted.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 pm

In the past, I have used small pots and put them in the windows that are most appropriate (some require less light than others) and had excellent luck at a small cost. :)
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

PaigeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

New Castle, IN

by PaigeM » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 am

Here's my AeroGarden story ...

Back when it first came out (more than a year ago), my husband bought one for me for my birthday. It was very easy to set up and within a few days things were sproutin'! I really liked that it pretty much took care of itself. Plus I didn't have to worry about critters chewing on my herbs outside.

But then something shorted out and the lights wouldn't turn on. Called Customer Service and they were wonderful -- shipped a new base unit ASAP. Once I put it together again, it worked beautifully for a few days ... and then the same thing happened. Again, Customer Service was great -- they sent a completely new unit and fresh seed pods. That one worked for a couple of weeks and then the water pump broke. At that point, my husband apologized for giving me the most frustrating gift ever.

Now that was a year ago, and I'd assume they've figured out the problems and sold enough units that any issues are resolved. In fact, I was kind of hoping to get a new AeroGarden for my birthday this year! I didn't. But I still plan to buy another one. When it worked, it worked like a charm.
"Well, if you don't like butter, just use cream." -Julia Child
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far! In the summer I can manage to grow some herbs on the deck, but it is the winter that frustrates me. I've checked out the feedback on Amazon too and it seems pretty good. Some frustrated customers, but some good feedback too. I think it received 4 stars out of 5. I'm tempted!