Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Yoga Instruction?

User

Allison Williams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 am

Highlands

Yoga Instruction?

by Allison Williams » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 pm

I am looking for a Yoga Instructor or classes that would be suitable for beginners or a good introduction. I am a little intimidated at the thought of not "knowing" anything if I try to take any class and I keep putting it off because of that reason :oops: . Any suggestions would be great. I live in the Highland/Irish Hill area would like something within walking or biking distance.
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." ~Leonardo da Vinci
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:54 am

I know you asked for a local class or instructor, but if you want to get a jump start on classes, you might consider a good dvd. It's how I started, years ago (with a book, and then yoga on pbs) before I moved on to an instructor. For me, it was a fabulous way to begin, and I could do it at my own pace without feeling distracted by feeling like an idiot. My later instructor said I'd done really well with it.

I can't vouch for this, but it looks good:

Yoga For Every Body
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:31 pm

If you have Insight cable, they have several yoga classes "on demand". It might be worth checking out.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:39 am

This might be a bit more of a bike ride than you're looking for, but I recommend Jessica Olberz at Yoga Studio Louisville, which is on Bardstown Rd just south of the Watterson. I took a Gentle Yoga course that Jessica taught at U of L several years ago and I thought she was great. Very, very patient and good at helping people work within their own limitations. I recommend her highly, especially for beginners. She's very un-intimidating.
User

Ward Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Beargrass Creek watershed

Re: Yoga Instruction?

by Ward Wilson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:29 pm

Allison Williams wrote:I am looking for a Yoga Instructor or classes that would be suitable for beginners or a good introduction. I am a little intimidated at the thought of not "knowing" anything if I try to take any class and I keep putting it off because of that reason :oops: . Any suggestions would be great. I live in the Highland/Irish Hill area would like something within walking or biking distance.

Best instructors are at Yoga East http://www.yogaeast.org
They have studios on Kentucky Street and Frankfort Ave that aren't too far from you. They are really good, but very open to new folks.
Namaste.
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:33 am

After seeing Jessica Olberz of Yoga Studio of Louisville recommended here, I decided to give her a try since I had been considering trying Yoga if I could find someone who is gentle and would not push me too hard. I went for my first lesson this week and she is just as great and unintimidating as you described her. Thanks. :D