Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

“New Scandinavian Cooking“

by Gayle DeM » Thu May 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Is anyone in the Louisville area able to receive “New Scandinavian Cooking“ on his/her TV? It is on Create TV and also supposedly on PBS. I am currently subscribed to Dish-TV, but would switch in a moment if I could pick up this show.

Yeah, I know I am one of probably 100 Scandinavian’s in the Louisville area, but the recipes at http://www.scandcook.com/default.asp?page=19 look awesome. My bachelor son in the Seattle area keeps raving about this show. Supposedly, public television stations nationwide were to begin airing the fifth season on May 5, 2007. The closest I seem to come is WKYU in Bowling Green, but that’s not an option with Dish TV.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri May 25, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Although it might not sound likely at first glance, I'm more scandinavian than anything (my mother was wholly Norwegian), and as a child the big baking sessions revolved around the Norwegian Christmas staples which I still love today. I'd love to learn more.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: “New Scandinavian Cooking“

by Robin Garr » Fri May 25, 2007 7:16 am

Gayle DeM wrote:Yeah, I know I am one of probably 100 Scandinavian’s in the Louisville area

Bear in mind, though, that in an older city like Louisville where the immigrant stream largely preceded Ellis Island days, there's a lot of us in the "Heinz 57" category, even if the main local threads are German and Irish (and a little Italian) Catholic and English/Scotch-Irish Protestant.

F'rinstance, my father has a bunch of old genealogy books that indicate a several-great-grandfather had a brother named Gustavus Adolphus. Named in honor of a Swedish king? Why? Some Scandihoovian influence can't be ruled out ...
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Gayle DeM wrote:Yeah, I know I am one of probably 100 Scandinavian’s in the Louisville area

Bear in mind, though, that in an older city like Louisville where the immigrant stream largely preceded Ellis Island days, there's a lot of us in the "Heinz 57" category, even if the main local threads are German and Irish (and a little Italian) Catholic and English/Scotch-Irish Protestant.

F'rinstance, my father has a bunch of old genealogy books that indicate a several-great-grandfather had a brother named Gustavus Adolphus. Named in honor of a Swedish king? Why? Some Scandihoovian influence can't be ruled out ...

I'm a thorough mutt. My father's mother was Jewish, his father Irish, and the Devlin part of the equation is most likely a derivation of the French D'Evelyn, which would make sense, given the Norman influence (or, um, invasion, but who's counting).... He says there's some Spanish something or other going on way back in his family history, which would make sense I suppose, given the ancient Spanish habit of trying to conquer the entire planet.

Most people think I'm Italian, although my thoroughly Irish friends say I look like the black (Norman) Irish variety to them, and my Italian friends say I look French to them. Nobody thinks I look Norwegian, although I saw a picture of a little Norwegian girl (a Lap) in the National Geographic years ago and figured she must surely be related to my mother because they were like identical twins.

Which (the original subject here) raises a question I've had since we moved here, because the term "regional" cooking has never been particular evocative for me in terms of explaining what the actual foods of the original immigrant populations might have been. I keep meaning to explore that. What the percentages of the various, early ethnicities around these parts are.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 25, 2007 2:52 pm

C. Devlin wrote:Which (the original subject here) raises a question I've had since we moved here, because the term "regional" cooking has never been particular evocative for me in terms of explaining what the actual foods of the original immigrant populations might have been. I keep meaning to explore that. What the percentages of the various, early ethnicities around these parts are.

This probably ought to be a separate thread, but it's my opinion that Louisville's immigrant streams are so old that most of the European influences are lost, other than maybe a certain affection for assimilated German dishes like sauerkraut, German potato salad, brats and beer.
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Fri May 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Well, I found some Prussians, and people from as far back as the late 1400's on Ancestry.com. Heck, I just found out I have ancestors on the Mayflower, which is kinda cool.
Have you hugged your penguin today?