Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: NIMBUS FOR MAYOR !!!

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 am

Nimbus, you've got my vote, although I'm afraid your decision to run as an independent signals a symbolic candidacy rather than a competitive one. Still, I admire the sentiments ... particularly the free beer part of your platform!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 am

As an Oldham Co. resident I obviously don't have a "dog in this hunt" but I am reminded of an election in the not so distant past. Jesse Ventura (who I DID vote for) was running for the governor of MN as an independent. The mainstream media and L/R pundits didn't give him a snow balls chance of winning the election...but he did. Interestingly, one of Jesse's campaign promises was to bring "light rail" to The Cities. The idea was poo-pooed on BOTH sides of the state legislative aisle for a variety of reasons. Despite this opposition, once elected Jesse persisted and after investing what little political capital he had (along with the application of a few headlocks and body slams) did in fact manage to get light rail in the metro. The project came in on cost and ridership is well over double even the most optimistic pre-construction estimates. The funny thing about this is that MN state legislators from both parties are to this day tripping over themselves to claim "ownership" of this success story...when in fact it was only through the perseverance of an independent elected official that this project made it off the drawing board.

So there ya go Nimbus...let that be your motivation for the day.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 am

The campaign rallies should be fun as hell ...
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm

I've never met you, but I think you'd be a mayor with the most unusual name! Honestly, I think it would be excellent to have a person with a brilliant mind and knowledge of business. Yes, Louisville is very old school in politics. I have supported Abramson, but we had some real duds in the past (Armstrong, Stansbury) I know you are an environmentalist and are a biker- that should get one foot in with Papa John! Best of luck, I look forward to hearing more of your ideas.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Linda C wrote:we had some real duds in the past (Armstrong, Stansbury)

Linda, I covered Bill Stansbury for the old Louisville Times, and he was a dud, all right! However, I wouldn't be so rough on Dave Armstrong. Dave surely didn't have Jerry's cheerleader style, and if anything was a technocrat, not high on the charisma. But he probably did more to turn around downtown than any other recent mayor, including Jerry. He had a direct personal hand in getting people downtown to "live, work and play," was instrumental in getting the Skate Park built (no favorite of Abramson's), and while it still has a way to go, if downtown is looking better than it has for a long time, I think Dave gets at least as much of the credit for that as Jerry.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote: I think Dave gets at least as much of the credit for that as Jerry.

I agree.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:14 pm

It seemed to me that Armstrong followed through well with things on the plate, then stalled out on other things, such as an arena. Then there was the famous "Louisville sign" gaffe. As well, he had the worst relationship with police after the whole Sherrard incident. He just seemed to be a weak leader, IMO.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote: It is just that the public schools NEED to emphasize academics. They need PE badly, yes. But they also need critical thinking, arts and humanities. Less rote learning for standardized testing. It is many issues, and athletics is only a small part of the problem.

Yes, yes, yes! You have my vote!
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Paul Mick wrote:
That depends upon the level of athletics you're talking about Shawn. I pretty much agree with Nimbus' position. At U of L, football and basketball bring in much more money to the University than the salaries paid to Pitino and Kragthorpe. Plus, at the Division I level, such athletics can produce a great deal of positive publicity for the University. It's easy to say that academics is more important than athletics (it is ;)) but it is much harder to cope with the reality of actually running a university, making it popular with prospective students, and balancing the budget.

However, I couldn't agree more when it comes to high school sports.

You've merely bought into a popular, grand narrative.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/07/31/college-economy/index.html

The most worthwhile material:

"Fulks, who just completed a study of 2008 financial data to update his 2006 study, said 25 of the 120 FBS athletic departments generated more money than they spent. That's up from 19 in 2006, and the median surplus for the departments turning a profit jumped more than $1 million to $3.9 million. Now for the bad news. The other 95 departments ran a median deficit of $9.87 million. For public schools, taxpayer dollars usually cover that deficit. Fulks expects the gulf between the profitable and unprofitable departments to grow more next year because of the recession."

It would be much easier to run the budget at UofL if athletics were excluded. It would not be a popular choice, though. The financing of college athletics is growing out of control, but because of their popularity, everyone is looking the other way. As a result, questionable decisions are being made such as UofL's stadium expansion. The basic logic behind that expansion is that the money made from the increased capacity while generate a profit, although the increased capacity will only really matter for "big games." IU is completing a similar expansion. IU students refer to the seats as "more seats for Ohio State fans." Which is sad, but true. Got to get your money from somewhere. If you are one of those programs operating in debt, you have to generate more capital. If you are one of the programs making a profit, you have to put more and more pressure on the market (see Urban Meyer's new contract) to keep the rest of the programs down. Basic "Have" and "Have Nots." Unfortunately, these financial games are costing taxpayers money and negatively shaping higher education - especially at public institutions.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Bryan R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:29 pm

by Bryan R » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:26 pm

I'd really like to see your full platform before I make a final judgment, but after reviewing your posts and favorite links found on Ray's Monkey House blog, I'm afraid you are quite a bit too far left for my taste. However, personal politics have never kept me from being friendly. And it certainly has not kept me from enjoying all the best Louisville has to offer. It only keep me from voting for you. :wink: Best of luck on your endeavor.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Nice!
Derby City Espresso is ready to campaign for you as soon as you need us.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:29 pm

I've always lamented and ridiculed single-issue voters, but I'm willing to receive my own wrath to get behind an anti-Cordish candidate.

Having said that, I know from our few conversations at Ray's that we have similar viewpoints on a good number of issues.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Nimbus, I'm afraid you are not quite far enough left for my taste ... but that wouldn't stop me from voting for you if I lived in Louisville. :D
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Ben S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:51 pm

by Ben S. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am

Bryan R wrote:I'd really like to see your full platform before I make a final judgment, but after reviewing your posts and favorite links found on Ray's Monkey House blog, I'm afraid you are quite a bit too far left for my taste. However, personal politics have never kept me from being friendly. And it certainly has not kept me from enjoying all the best Louisville has to offer. It only keep me from voting for you. :wink: Best of luck on your endeavor.

But the libertarian right and the progressive left are getting closer together in today's world of corporatism. I'm a republican for Nimbus, because he is right about Cordish, and it is the local example of what is wrong with our government nationally. Legislated corporate welfare.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Ben S. wrote:But the libertarian right and the progressive left are getting closer together in today's world of corporatism.

This may be splitting hairs, but I'd argue that saying "libertarian right" isn't entirely accurate. (Unless you mean Libertarians are right! :wink: )
Libertarians are conservative (politically right) on social issues but liberal (political left) on social issues. We pick the best of both worlds, and pretty much just want the government to leave us alone.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
PreviousNext