Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Trip Advisor.com Louisville Forum

by Ed Vermillion » Mon May 21, 2007 10:04 am

Stumbled across the Louisville Forum on Trip Advisor.com and would urge some of our happy band post restaurant/hotel/things to do tips for people asking for genuine help.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Trip Advisor.com Louisville Forum

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2007 10:23 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:Stumbled across the Louisville Forum on Trip Advisor.com and would urge some of our happy band post restaurant/hotel/things to do tips for people asking for genuine help.

With all respect, Ed, you're basically calling for fragmenting the small audience for Louisville information online and increasing business for a national competitor.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon May 21, 2007 10:48 am

Point taken and I should have been smart enough to remember that.

O.K. move along people, nothin' to see here. :oops:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2007 10:55 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:Point taken and I should have been smart enough to remember that.

Ed, I'm sorry, I didn't really mean to jump on you. I get frustrated by these national companies that set up "local" sites, pretty much the same way I guess a Louisville Original feels when a mega-chain sets up business across the street, I guess. But I hope I didn't smack ya too hard, buddy ...
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon May 21, 2007 11:17 am

Not at all, Robin. I had a fleeting Don Quixote moment. Hate it when that happens.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon May 21, 2007 11:29 am

I know we don't hold Trip Advisor in much esteem on these boards, but I have found some value in the reviews of specific properties, especially when you get some candid photos of guest rooms. Geez, I might even have put a review or two out there of some non-US hotels .... gasp!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2007 11:41 am

TP Lowe wrote:I know we don't hold Trip Advisor in much esteem on these boards, but I have found some value in the reviews of specific properties, especially when you get some candid photos of guest rooms. Geez, I might even have put a review or two out there of some non-US hotels .... gasp!

I think I framed my opinion fairly candidly: It's frustrating for a small Louisville-based business trying to compete with national "chains" even with higher quality as the draw. It's not about whether Trip Advisor provides some service, and please note that I tried to be gentle with Ed. Nor did I (or would I) propose to censor his post or any other legitimate, non-spam post.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon May 21, 2007 11:51 am

Hey Robin - how about we put a link to this site on Trip Advisor posts so those folks can get the "real deal" :!: Just a thought........
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I know we don't hold Trip Advisor in much esteem on these boards, but I have found some value in the reviews of specific properties, especially when you get some candid photos of guest rooms. Geez, I might even have put a review or two out there of some non-US hotels .... gasp!

I think I framed my opinion fairly candidly: It's frustrating for a small Louisville-based business trying to compete with national "chains" even with higher quality as the draw. It's not about whether Trip Advisor provides some service, and please note that I tried to be gentle with Ed. Nor did I (or would I) propose to censor his post or any other legitimate, non-spam post.

I certainly don't think I implied any censorship. And, I was merely pointing out that I don't cheat on your restaurant board - I only use TA for occasionally looking a hotels.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:Hey Robin - how about we put a link to this site on Trip Advisor posts so those folks can get the "real deal" :!: Just a thought........

I expect they'd be just about as happy with that as P.F. Chang's would be if somebody put up a sign out front pointing to Asiatique. ;)

Still, while I'm not saying this would be a good idea, it might be interesting to see if such a post would survive.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2007 12:09 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I certainly don't think I implied any censorship. And, I was merely pointing out that I don't cheat on your restaurant board - I only use TA for occasionally looking a hotels.

Understood, TP. I hope I didn't sound like I was pounding on you. Just trying to walk a narrow line here ... :oops:
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon May 21, 2007 12:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I certainly don't think I implied any censorship. And, I was merely pointing out that I don't cheat on your restaurant board - I only use TA for occasionally looking a hotels.

Understood, TP. I hope I didn't sound like I was pounding on you. Just trying to walk a narrow line here ... :oops:

... no pounding received! And understand the line.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon May 21, 2007 1:02 pm

For what it's worth I did put a link to this forum on the one thread I answered. As of now it is still up!