Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Becky M had a wonderful idea for a graduation gift for my niece - a charm bracelet! I'm trying to identify a good place to pick one up that also has a nice selection of charms. I tried searching online at discount places, but wasn't seeing what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions for either a jewelry store or another place that might have these that might not be too expensive? TIA.
User avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

2518

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Marsha L. » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Kim, I know it might be a little daunting because you can't handle the merchandise before you buy, but have you looked at Overstock.com? They seem to have great prices on what seems to be quality pieces.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Kim, I know it might be a little daunting because you can't handle the merchandise before you buy, but have you looked at Overstock.com? They seem to have great prices on what seems to be quality pieces.

Oh, great thought, Marsha! I always forget about Overstock. I may have to handle it first, but I'll check it out and see what they've got. I appreciate the suggestion!
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 pm

annemarie m wrote:kim, try davis center jewelers, they also have this series, not only in gold, but silver too. you start off with an empty bracelet and build the bracelet with beads and these trinkets, like charms, more of hand painted. not expensive like gold. you add on along the way. http://www.davisjewelers.com/ go to this web site and click on pandora. this is what i'm trying to tell you.

Davis is where we got our wedding rings/my engagement ring! They're very nice there, but a little pricey. I tried to check out the Pandora site, but their site is really slow, and I can't really get a good idea online. We'll probably go there to see them in person. I love the idea of something a little different from a typical charm bracelet, and it also reminded me of the Italian charm bracelets, which I might also check out. I do like the classic charm bracelets as well, I'm just going to have to shop around. We see thwm next week, and I'd rather give it to her in person. I don't want to invest a ton, though. I love my niece, but she tends to be a bit irresponsible with her stuff, and I'm afraid she'll lose it. But we'll check out Davis, and see what they have. Thanks!
User avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1958

Joined

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Gayle DeM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Kim, as the grand dame of charm bracelets, I hardily agree with Kim's suggestion of Overstock.com. (Although my bracelets and additional charms have all been gifts except for my travel bracelet that I buy charms for as I travel. I have ordered many a bracelet and even more charms from Overstock.com.

May I also strongly suggest that for the bracelet itself, you go with a sterling silver rolo chain. In my opinion, the rolo style is the best for accommodating charms of various sized and weights. In the past I have had several bracelet of other styles, but now all my charm bracelets are rolos. Twice I have replaced non-rolo bracelet with the rolo style. (Of course I keep my charms; it was only the bracelet propers that had to go.)

And I want to correct myself on an earlier response. I currently have three charm bracelets that I am wearing frequently. However, I have ten altogether. So as of today, I have revamped my jewlery storage so that I have rotated other dear charm bracelets into the current section. Oh, they bring back such wonderful memories! :D
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks, everyone! Gayle - out of these, is there one in particular you'd recommend? http://www.overstock.com/search?keyword ... =HP_Header
User avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1958

Joined

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Gayle DeM » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 am

Kim, I would recommend 'Sterling Silver Italian Rolo Link Bracelet (7 - 8 in)." I especially like the fact the it is available in two sizes. What size wrist does your niece have? (My wrist is 6-inches. I can pull my hand out of a clasped 9-inch bracelet.)

1. I ruled out all gold bracelets because the gold charms are for the most part way to pricey.
2. I ruled out all toggle clasp bracelets because as charms are added to the bracelet opportunities for the bracelet to be caught on something have become "untoggled" increase exponentially.
3. I ruled out all bracelets that included a charm or fob.
4. I ruled out all bracelets that included multiple finishes.

Good luck Kim.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:08 am

Gayle DeM wrote:Kim, I would recommend 'Sterling Silver Italian Rolo Link Bracelet (7 - 8 in)." I especially like the fact the it is available in two sizes. What size wrist does your niece have? (My wrist is 6-inches. I can pull my hand out of a clasped 9-inch bracelet.)

1. I ruled out all gold bracelets because the gold charms are for the most part way to pricey.
2. I ruled out all toggle clasp bracelets because as charms are added to the bracelet opportunities for the bracelet to be caught on something have become "untoggled" increase exponentially.
3. I ruled out all bracelets that included a charm or fob.
4. I ruled out all bracelets that included multiple finishes.

Good luck Kim.

YAY! I ordered the bracelet with 2 charms. 1 is of a graduation hat and a diploma, the other is the letter 'K'. Her name is Kristen, and I'm a little partial to the letter 'K' myself :wink: I'm so excited, and I hope she loves it! I remember having one when I was growing up, and it was so fun to get new charms that reflected who I was. I attached pics of the bracelet and charms.

Thank you so much, Becky, for the idea, to Gayle for the advice on the type of bracelet, to Marsha and Gayle for recommending Overstock, and to Anne Marie, for thinking outside the box with suggestions! I'll let you know how it goes, but I am so happy! Thanks again!

http://www.overstock.com/cart?addqty103 ... 6&BUY.y=13
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1093

Joined

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Location

the other side of the river.....

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Becky M » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 am

That looks really nice. I have gold jewelry, but LOVE they way silver looks. i really like it. And the price isnt bad either. I am glad you were able to find something so nice for her.
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

154

Joined

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Location

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by AmyBK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:40 am

When you want to add more charms, a good local source is Aesthetics in Jewelry on the 6th floor of the building on the southwest corner of 4th and Chestnut. Jim Jackson, AKA Jimmy the Jeweler, has lots of antique and new charms.

I got tired of my charm bracelets catching on things when worn, so I had mine converted to a big charm necklace. I have extra jump rings so I can add my charms myself as I find them. I just love it and wear them a lot more than I did as a bracelet.
User avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

175

Joined

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by MichelleS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm so glad you found something, Kim.

If you get the bracelet and you want to fill it out a little more without breaking the bank, go to the Afterglow bead store and have them add a couple of pretty Venetian Beads. They are always so beautiful and the price would be right.
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Becky M wrote:That looks really nice. I have gold jewelry, but LOVE they way silver looks. i really like it. And the price isnt bad either. I am glad you were able to find something so nice for her.
Thanks so much again for the suggestion! I'll send you pics of my girls after our trip (it seems I won't have kids of my own, so I live vicariously through my sister. She's an awesome Mom, as it seems you are!!!)
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 pm

AmyBK wrote:When you want to add more charms, a good local source is Aesthetics in Jewelry on the 6th floor of the building on the southwest corner of 4th and Chestnut. Jim Jackson, AKA Jimmy the Jeweler, has lots of antique and new charms.

I got tired of my charm bracelets catching on things when worn, so I had mine converted to a big charm necklace. I have extra jump rings so I can add my charms myself as I find them. I just love it and wear them a lot more than I did as a bracelet.

Oh, antique charms sound very cool. Thank you, Amy! I would've gone local on this gift, but I was late in the decision/purchase. I will totally keep Jim Jackson in mind for future purchases, for charms, and otherwise.

I am not a fan of bracelets myself for the same reasons, but I think she'll like it. And if it gets on her nerves, she can do the necklace thing. Either way, she'll have something that she can keep. That's my hope, anyway!
User avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

803

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Kim H » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:12 pm

MichelleS wrote:I'm so glad you found something, Kim.

If you get the bracelet and you want to fill it out a little more without breaking the bank, go to the Afterglow bead store and have them add a couple of pretty Venetian Beads. They are always so beautiful and the price would be right.

Oh, those sound like fun, maybe even for me! Where is Afterglow? Name seems familiar. I also know a girl who left the corporate world (yay!) to do her jewelry fulltime who could probably have some neat ideas for future charms. (Emily Schulz Powell) I don't have her web address, but she's friends w/Jo Self, so maybe one of them can chime in w/her current contact info.
User avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

345

Joined

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Location

Germantown

Re: Jewelry Stores?

by Jessica Devine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

A couple of years ago, we decided to start my mother a charm bracelet. I was all over this city looking for cute charms. The Silver Shop in Mall St. Matthews has a nice selection and usually a "2 for..." deal. There is also a cute little gift shop in Middletown past the Ben Franklins shopping center on the right. I can't remember what it's called, but it may be worth looking into for future charms.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign