Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

The Library Tax

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

The Library Tax

by TP Lowe » Wed May 09, 2007 9:25 am

I'm not a new-tax person (being the hard-nosed, right-wing conservative that I often appear to be on this site!), but I am in favor of the library tax that will be debated in coming months. Seeing that Rev. Coleman is actively against it (in today's CJ) merely confirms that I'm on the right side of the issue! What do others think? Up or down for a library tax?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed May 09, 2007 10:12 am

Up. I like taxes because I like roads, bridges, trash collection, sewer systems, parks, firefighters, police, healthcare for the poor and elderly, and an education system for our children. But I am just weird like that.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The Library Tax

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2007 10:41 am

TP Lowe wrote:I'm not a new-tax person (being the hard-nosed, right-wing conservative that I often appear to be on this site!), but I am in favor of the library tax that will be debated in coming months. Seeing that Rev. Coleman is actively against it (in today's CJ) merely confirms that I'm on the right side of the issue! What do others think? Up or down for a library tax?

Given that a lot of the revenue will go to building new libraries in suburban regions where I rarely venture, it would be easy for my to play "Where's mine?" on this one ... but since I do go to the Crescent Hill branch a lot and want to see the facility stay as good as it is and the book collection get better, I'm for it.

And I pretty much go along with Mr. Johnson's overall view: Taxation with representation is what makes our system work, and I find the national trend toward demonization of taxation and the political system one of the scariest things that's happened since the 1980s. If we want to keep our system working, we need to accept that it's based on the premise that we all need to pull our weight.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed May 09, 2007 11:34 am

All for it. A good library system creates so many ripple effects for a community as a whole. The only question I have is the taxation with representation part that Robin alludes to. I work in Louisville but live in Oldham County. Do I get to vote for the tax? (no) Will I pay the tax on my wages earned in Jefferson County?(yes) Who will my representative be on how my tax dollars are spent? Seems like the feds all over, Mitch McConnel doesn't listen to me. I can't seem to wake up Mr. Bunning long enough to get a form letter thanking me for writing him, at least Mitch has that much courtesy. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2007 11:43 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:The only question I have is the taxation with representation part that Robin alludes to. I work in Louisville but live in Oldham County. Do I get to vote for the tax? (no) Will I pay the tax on my wages earned in Jefferson County?(yes)

That's a fair challenge, although I think it's addressed legally, if not to anyone's real joy, in that the Jefferson County-based employer is paying the tax, and then passing along his costs to the employee.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Mott

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Butchertown

by Jeremy Mott » Wed May 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Up. I like taxes because I like roads, bridges, trash collection, sewer systems, parks, firefighters, police, healthcare for the poor and elderly, and an education system for our children. But I am just weird like that.

Thank you. My senitments exactly. So blunt, yet so eloquent.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 09, 2007 3:51 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm not a new-tax person (being the hard-nosed, right-wing conservative that I often appear to be on this site!), but I am in favor of the library tax that will be debated in coming months. Seeing that Rev. Coleman is actively against it (in today's CJ) merely confirms that I'm on the right side of the issue! What do others think? Up or down for a library tax?

Being the hard-nosed, left-wing liberal that I am, I have mixed feelings about the library tax. It is an attempt by the city to stop or reduce funding the library. Much the same as the passing to MSD the responsibility for drainage a few years ago. We now pay a drainage fee on the water bill. That was essentially a tax increase, therefore freeing city tax money to other things.

That said, I agree with Ron about taxes, and I would support the tax increase.

Of course, being retired and making no money, makes it easy to support a tax that I won't be paying. Actually, it might be better to tax property instead of income. Therefore I would be paying and I would still support the tax.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Steve Shade wrote:

Being the hard-nosed, left-wing liberal that I am, I have mixed feelings about the library tax. It is an attempt by the city to stop or reduce funding the library. Much the same as the passing to MSD the responsibility for drainage a few years ago. We now pay a drainage fee on the water bill. That was essentially a tax increase, therefore freeing city tax money to other things.

That said, I agree with Ron about taxes, and I would support the tax increase.

Of course, being retired and making no money, makes it easy to support a tax that I won't be paying. Actually, it might be better to tax property instead of income. Therefore I would be paying and I would still support the tax.

Actually, the amount the city affords the library is just plain inadequate. The library system needs at least twice what it sees from the city to start to fund what this community needs ....
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Library's Web Site

by TanyaD » Thu May 10, 2007 2:58 pm

If you go to the Library's web site, you can read about their petition (and even download and sign it if you wish):

http://www.lfpl.org/
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

Re: Library's Web Site

by TP Lowe » Thu May 10, 2007 4:35 pm

TanyaD wrote:If you go to the Library's web site, you can read about their petition (and even download and sign it if you wish):

I was going to post a petition here, but didn't know if that is cool or not. If anyone wants to download one and email a signed copy to me, I am accumulating some signatures for delivery. You can also email me for a fax number if you wish.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 10, 2007 5:04 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I was going to post a petition here, but didn't know if that is cool or not. If anyone wants to download one and email a signed copy to me, I am accumulating some signatures for delivery. You can also email me for a fax number if you wish.

It's cool, TP. Feel free to post, and thanks for taking the lead.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu May 10, 2007 5:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I was going to post a petition here, but didn't know if that is cool or not. If anyone wants to download one and email a signed copy to me, I am accumulating some signatures for delivery. You can also email me for a fax number if you wish.

It's cool, TP. Feel free to post, and thanks for taking the lead.

Thanks, Robin, will do. I understand from the administration at the library that there was some small legal issue with the original petition they created, so I'll wait till I'm back in Louisville on Monday and make sure I have the right one to post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 10, 2007 6:04 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Thanks, Robin, will do. I understand from the administration at the library that there was some small legal issue with the original petition they created, so I'll wait till I'm back in Louisville on Monday and make sure I have the right one to post.

While you're in touch with the administration, TP, you might ask them why in the heck their grandiose, expensive and, I believe, non-locally-built Website is incapable of handling an online petition.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu May 10, 2007 6:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:Thanks, Robin, will do. I understand from the administration at the library that there was some small legal issue with the original petition they created, so I'll wait till I'm back in Louisville on Monday and make sure I have the right one to post.

While you're in touch with the administration, TP, you might ask them why in the heck their grandiose, expensive and, I believe, non-locally-built Website is incapable of handling an online petition.

Ouch. Think I'll let that one lay for a bit ...
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu May 10, 2007 6:26 pm

TanyaD wrote:If you go to the Library's web site, you can read about their petition (and even download and sign it if you wish):

Having looked at this version it seems fine. If anyone wishes for me to accumulate signed petitions and transmit them to the library, feel free to download and fill out a form from the library web site and either email or fax it to me (email for my fax number, please).
Next