Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

The Library Tax

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:53 pm

:) :) :) Looks like not one precinct in Jefferson County had more Yes votes then NO....I would say that all parts of Jefferson County spoke loud and clear on this issue.....Hear that Mayor....Yup this on was really Jerry riged...Gee no warm and fuzzy commercials today......Thank God... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:08 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Yup this on was really Jerry riged...

Great testimony against liberries and all that edumafication stuff.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:15 pm

:D :D :D :D :D Yup you are right Robin. The man against Libraries...Jerry Jerry Jerry.......Funny how you seem to forget about his promise just a year ago....But I expect that form people that can see no wrong with Jerry or certian parties and when thinkg dont go there way ...They cry and blame everbody else about it.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:29 pm

robert szappanos wrote:But I expect that form people that can see no wrong with Jerry or certian parties

I hate forms.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:53 pm

Robert, take a deep breath. You are really starting to scare me with the freaky "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry" chanting and the emoticon overloads.

Calm, blue, ocean.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding the criticism of the presentation of the tax, but supposedly not the tax itself. Several people have said something about not liking the way they "marketed" (my word) the plan. So what? It's a nonprofit organization that is trying to grow for the benefit of our community - who cares if they were a bit ham-fisted about how they presented it? If it should win on its merits, then so be it - no matter how badly they blew the presentation.

Maybe I'm just grumpy over today's market ...
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:59 pm

You are right Ron. I need to calm down....I just hope that people remember hat happened and remember that for the next elections here in Jefferson county....Now I am going out to LongHorns to have a nice t-bone and a salad..... :D
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:29 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding the criticism of the presentation of the tax, but supposedly not the tax itself. Several people have said something about not liking the way they "marketed" (my word) the plan. So what? It's a nonprofit organization that is trying to grow for the benefit of our community - who cares if they were a bit ham-fisted about how they presented it? If it should win on its merits, then so be it - no matter how badly they blew the presentation.

Maybe I'm just grumpy over today's market ...

I voted for the library tax. If presented tomorrow or next year in the same way, I would vote for it again.

Presentation and perception are extremely important. P&G advertises for that reason, not because their products are great, but to use the perception of quality.

Your business uses the same thing. You want your customers to think they are doing a positive action by using your services. Not to say that is not true.

The ballot wording was a disaster and invited complaints. Why not just say the library needs help and a small tax will do it. The marketing was terrible.

There was a library tax on the a ballot years ago and although it lost, it was by only about four percent. Don't remember the details, but I voted for that one too.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
robert szappanos wrote:Yup this on was really Jerry riged...

Great testimony against liberries and all that edumafication stuff.

Robin, I have to complain about your comment.

To make it clear, I do not agree with Robert about the library tax.

I also am aware, as are a number of people on this forum that Roberts' spelling and syntax are weak. He is nonetheless educated and intelligent.

You have often said spelling, etc should not be a reason to denigrate posters statements.

That is exactly what you did.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Steve Shade wrote:You have often said spelling, etc should not be a reason to denigrate posters statements.

Steve, generally you are correct, as much as I hate to admit it.

I would suggest, though, that Robert has voluntarily made himself a bit of a target here by making the decision to place himself as the voice of opposition to the library on the forum throughout the pre-election period.

When he made that decision, and then brought his unusual spelling to the party, it seems to me that he made himself a poster child for at least one segment of the anti-tax group and thus fair game for a kind of criticism that you correctly point out wouldn't be fair for a regular poster who wasn't taking up the cudgels against an educational institution.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:You have often said spelling, etc should not be a reason to denigrate posters statements.

Steve, generally you are correct, as much as I hate to admit it.

I would suggest, though, that Robert has voluntarily made himself a bit of a target here by making the decision to place himself as the voice of opposition to the library on the forum throughout the pre-election period.

When he made that decision, and then brought his unusual spelling to the party, it seems to me that he made himself a poster child for at least one segment of the anti-tax group and thus fair game for a kind of criticism that you correctly point out wouldn't be fair for a regular poster who wasn't taking up the cudgels against an educational institution.

Robert was strongly against the tax. So was a large percentage of the voters. Sure he was very vocal, but hardly a dumbass. He did not get
personal. Your comment was.

I was strongly in favor of the tax. Just because he is not great on the usage of prober wording, his opinion should not be discounted.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
The ballot wording was a disaster and invited complaints. Why not just say the library needs help and a small tax will do it. The marketing was terrible.

You just reiterated my point again - who cares about the ballot wording or the advertisements? If the tax is needed, it's needed - so it's OK to punish the library foundation because they didn't hire a great ad agency to make the point for them? I think a lot of people are hiding behind that argument rather than just saying they were against the tax (and I don't mean you, necessarily, Steve).
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm

Thank You.....About being against the tax....I think that you are wrong on that. What really got people to say no....in my opinion...was the city that would end up with 16.5 Million more bucks to go into the general fund....cookie jar...for the Mayor to use as he wants to.....Sure he wanted the tax to go through...I dont like him but he is no dummy....16 more big ones to spend...heck yes....As I stated before...if the city would have said we will continue to give the library the 16.5 million each year and ask the tax payer to make up the difference of the 40 million...that would mean the tax would be lower...and be honest in the tv ad's for the yes vote and not try to pull the wool over peopl more might have voted for it and it would have a better chance to pass....Even when the Mayor was on the Joe Elliot show last week...Joe flat asked him about why the city is not including the already funded 16.5 million to the libraries...He rambled on for about 3 minutes and at the end of that time....he said nothing....also when Joe asked him about what the money would be used for if the tax passes and the city gets to keep the 16.5 million...He once again rambled on and on and never asked the question....I understand that the Mayor stormed out of WHAS after the show....Even on the news tonight the Mayor said that it is clear that the people do not want to fund the libraries....Did he ever think that what the people really said is hey Jerry what about the new libraries with no increase in taxes you said just last year....
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

From a new Louisvillian

by Michael Sell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:36 pm

As a six-months-in-Louisville newbie, the library tax failing miserably strikes me as, on the face of it, quite a sad statement for the city. Between the "vote no to stick it to Abramson" crowd, the anti-taxers (so what if our infrastructure goes to pot, let the wealthy folks pay for it), those who claim that it's unfair to poor people (libraries bridge the divide for literacy and for pc access), and whatever other faction, this appears to be nothing to celebrate.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 pm

You are right it is nothing to be proud of and the Mayor should be the first in line wishing that he could do it all over gain...but i am sure that the metro goverment will get together on it and come up with a plan. They have a meeting Thursday evening and I plan on going to it...
PreviousNext